new public beta of Kalendis released

Irv Bromberg
Dear Calendar People:

I've released a new public beta version of Kalendis at <http://www.sym454.org/kalendis/>, see the instructions and release notes there.

Of special note to CALNDR members is the new support of symmetrical leap cycles within the Symmetry454 calendar and its variants, for fixed arithmetic cycles.

For the preferred 52/293 leap cycle, this means that in the leap rule K=166 is changed to 146 in this beta.  This will soon become the calendar's new leap rule -- more than 5 years after Karl Palmen first suggested it!  (I'm still polishing off PDF documentation revisions, not changed at Sym454 home page yet.)

The Previous and Next menus now have commands to jump to the previous or next leap cycle.  Press Ctrl-A to do it again, repeatedly, to quickly check astronomical drift into the past or future, watching the solar longitude, starting from the desired point in the first year of a leap cycle, such as the day corresponding to the calendar season of the leap cycle.

The Symmetry454 leap year lists now show the symmetrical subcycle groupings.

-- Irv Bromberg, Toronto, Canada

Re: new public beta of Kalendis released

Karl Palmen - UKRI STFC

Dear Helios, Irv and Calendar People

I reckon that the leap week years of Irv’s 293-year cycle using K=146, which makes it into a Helios cycle are

003 009 015

020 026

031 037 043

048 054 060

065 071 077

082 088

093 099 105

110 116 122

127 133 139

144 150

155 161 167

172 178 184

189 195 201

206 212

217 223 229

234 240 246

251 257 263

268 274

279 285 291

Note that within each row the leap week  years are six years apart while between rows they are five years apart. The five short rows are evenly spaced once every four rows within each 293-year cycle but are 3 rows apart between 293-year cycles. This gives rise to a 62-year sub-cycle within the 293-year cycle, which is interrupted by the end of the 293-year cycle.

It can be seen that there are eight more odd-numbered leap years than even numbered leap years. There is no need for a cycle that has its leap years spread as evenly as possible to have near equal as possible numbers of even and odd numbered leap years. An extreme counter example is the 33-year cycle.

[...]

Scanned by iCritical.

On 2009.03.16, at 08:39 , Palmen, KEV (Karl) wrote:
I reckon that the leap week years of Irv’s 293-year cycle using K=146, which makes it into a Helios cycle are...

Irv replies:  You can "reckon" that, and you can also simply get the new beta version of Kalendis to report the symmetrical list of Sym454 leap years.  The symmetrical subcycle grouping is given at the top of the report, and the year number within the cycle is the left-most column in the list below.

-- Irv Bromberg, Toronto, Canada

Re: new public beta of Kalendis released

Karl Palmen - UKRI STFC

Dear Irv and Calendar People

I see that the current K=166 calendar has it’s leap week years listed at http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/leap/52-293_sym_leap_years.htm .

Here the years that are five years after previous are shown in bold type in either black or red. The black ones are 17 years after the previous bold face (so form the first year of a long row) and the red ones occur 11 years after the previous bold face (so form the first year of  a short row).

If this colouring were applied to K=146, it would not show up its symmetry. Instead once could boldface those leap years that occur six years before and after other leap years. These years occur in the middle of a long row in intervals of 17 or 28 years. A neat and symmetrical way of colouring rows would be to colour odd-numbered years red and even-numbered years black. Each block of successive leap years of one colour would correspond to a row.

Here I show the first 293 years coloured thus:

003 009 015 020 026 031 037 043 048 054 060 065 071 077 082 088 093 099 105 110 116 122 127 133 139 144 150 155 161 167 172 178 184 189 195 201 206 212 217 223 229 234 240 246 251 257 263 268 274 279 285 291.

You may see that the black bold type years occur once every 62 years within this cycle. The red bold type years occur once every 28 or 34 years alternately within the cycle.

Re: new public beta of Kalendis released

Ryan Provost-2
Thanks for the update to Kalendis. I'm keeping the current and previous versions of Kalendis. I'm greatly disappointed that the current beta version of Kalendis doesn't support the 13-month and the World calendar. I would like to have it put back, and I would suggest an auto-update feature so the information be updated every minute by default, but it can be set by the user.

On 2009.03.16, at 12:27 , Palmen, KEV (Karl) wrote:
[...]

Here I show the first 293 years coloured thus:  003 009 015 020 026 031 037 043 048 054 060 065 071 077 082 088 093 099 105 110 116 122 127 133 139 144 150 155 161 167 172 178 184 189 195 201 206 212 217 223 229 234 240 246 251 257 263 268 274 279 285 291.
 You may see that the black bold type years occur once every 62 years within this cycle. The red bold type years occur once every 28 or 34 years alternately within the cycle.

Irv replies:  Thanks, Karl, for that suggestion, which I have now implemented in a revised public beta of Kalendis, and I have posted some updated leap year lists in that format.

A few things:

- I preferred to have the red color in the "minority", so red rows are the even-numbered years-within-cycle

- It was confusing not to always have the year-within-cycle displayed, so the report now always includes the first cycle at the epoch.

- With this formatting, "almost" symmetrical cycles having an even number of years per cycle (524, 400, 648, 62) look strikingly non-symmetrical because the color pattern takes a "flip" half-way through the cycle.

The leap year lists can be generated by the currently posted public beta of Kalendis, but here are links to a few that I have posted on-line:

Fully Symmetrical:

Almost Symmetrical:

The patterns are more obvious in the shorter cycles.

-- Irv Bromberg, Toronto, Canada

Re: new public beta of Kalendis released

Karl Palmen - UKRI STFC

Dear Irv and Calendar People

It looks good.

I don’t think Irv considered making the colour correspondence apply to the year number rather than year of cycle number, then the colours in the symmetrical cycles would flip between successive cycles.

For the almost symmetrical cycles the colours are anti-symmetrical, except for the middle year of the cycle. Irv has shown only one of the two  almost-symmetrical cycles for each number C of years.  He shows the one where the year C/2 is a leap year and not the other one where year C/2 + 1 is a leap year.

On 2009.03.18, at 12:40 , Palmen, KEV (Karl) wrote:
It looks good.
I don’t think Irv considered making the colour correspondence apply to the year number rather than year of cycle number, then the colours in the symmetrical cycles would flip between successive cycles.

Irv replies:  That is what I tried first, and was dismayed by the color pattern flip between successive cycles, that is why I switched to year-within-cycle and made sure that the first cycle at the epoch is always shown.

For the almost symmetrical cycles the colours are anti-symmetrical, except for the middle year of the cycle. Irv has shown only one of the two  almost-symmetrical cycles for each number C of years.  He shows the one where the year C/2 is a leap year and not the other one where year C/2 + 1 is a leap year.

Irv replies:  That is correct -- within Kalendis, I standardized on using K=C/2 for even-length cycles, only because the arithmetic is a tad simpler.  Is there a better reason to pick K=C/2+1 instead?

I am now experimenting with inserting a blank line at the mid-point of the cycle to highlight the axis of symmetry.
If there are an even number of leap years then a single blank line half-way through the list is appropriate.
However if there are an odd number of leap years then the middle (leap) year needs a blank line above and below it, because it sits right on the axis of symmetry.

On 2009.03.18, at 12:52 , Irv Bromberg wrote:
I am now experimenting with inserting a blank line at the mid-point of the cycle to highlight the axis of symmetry.
If there are an even number of leap years then a single blank line half-way through the list is appropriate.
However if there are an odd number of leap years then the middle (leap) year needs a blank line above and below it, because it sits right on the axis of symmetry.

Well, I tried using blank rows and didn't like them, so undid that change.

Instead, I have adopted a more subtle indication:  in the leftmost column appears the row number, enumerating each leap year in the list.
It is in light grey, with a ")" beside.
Now for symmetrical cycles, I show it in boldface, with a colon beside.  This appears beside one row where there are an odd number of leap years, or beside two years when there are an even number of leap years.
This indication doesn't "hit you in the face" as blank rows would, but it is easy to discern if you look for it.
The posted version of the Kalendis beta is updated accordingly.

For the even-length cycles, I have reverted to the original formatting that makes no attempt to highlight any symmetry to the leap year list, except that now Kalendis makes sure that the first cycle at the epoch is always included in the listing for fixed arithmetic leap cycles.  I have been thinking about using the symmetrical highlighting with red for even year-in-cycle for the first half of the cycle, then switching to red for odd year-in-cycle for the second half of the cycle, but it would be cumbersome to explain that in a short phrase at the top of the listing!  Would that be a misleading way to present such lists?

You might need to refresh your web browser to see the updated versions of the above leap year lists.

-- Irv Bromberg, Toronto, Canada

Re: new public beta of Kalendis released

Karl Palmen - UKRI STFC

Dear Irv and Calendar People

On 2009.03.18, at 12:40 , Palmen, KEV (Karl) wrote:

It looks good.

I don’t think Irv considered making the colour correspondence apply to the year number rather than year of cycle number, then the colours in the symmetrical cycles would flip between successive cycles.

Irv replies:  That is what I tried first, and was dismayed by the color pattern flip between successive cycles, that is why I switched to year-within-cycle and made sure that the first cycle at the epoch is always shown. Fair enough.

For the almost symmetrical cycles the colours are anti-symmetrical, except for the middle year of the cycle. Irv has shown only one of the two  almost-symmetrical cycles for each number C of years.  He shows the one where the year C/2 is a leap year and not the other one where year C/2 + 1 is a leap year.

Irv replies:  That is correct -- within Kalendis, I standardized on using K=C/2 for even-length cycles, only because the arithmetic is a tad simpler.  Is there a better reason to pick K=C/2+1 instead? No, but one should not forget that the K=C/2+1 cycle exists. It is the mirror image of the cycle shown.

Karl

10(06(22 till noon

Scanned by iCritical.