molad-solad calendar

Karl Palmen

Dear Walter, Amos, Brij and Calendar People

I thought of another way of making a calendar with lunar and solar molad. I’ll call to solar molad a solad to distinguish from the lunar molad, which can then be just called a molad.

This time make the solad correspond the 1/12 year and thus a solar month rather than a whole year.

One could for example have the molad interval equal to 29 980/1847 days and the solad interval equal to 30 671/1536 days and this would implement Brij’s calculation.

Or one could have the solad interval exactly 29/32 days longer than the molad interval.

In either case, each lunar month would be named according to which solad occurs in it and a month without a solad in it would be a leap month.

I think the Chinese calendar may at some time operated like this with both the new moons and principal terms equally spaced.

Walter may think about the intervals between the leap months.

This becomes equivalent to the molad-solad calendar previously suggested, if the last solad of a year is defined as the only solad of next year.

However for Amos, I think calculations would get too complicated to make this suitable as a desert island calendar.

Tithi & MY/ML Results Re: molad-solad calendar

Brij Bhushan metric VIJ
Walter, Karl, Amos list sits:
>One could for example have the molad >interval equal to 29 980/1847 days and >the solad interval equal to 30 671/1536 >days and this would implement Brij’s >calculation.
I was doing some search to know...Solad/ Molad; but I am not really clear. However, ....what I gather:
"...it is used for religious purposes, provides a time frame for agriculture and is an official calendar for civil purposes, although the latter usage has been steadily declining in favor of the Gregorian calendar."
    I am not sure if results obtained by my calculations, speak of the Mean Year= (365+31/128)=365.2421875 days; and Mean Mean Lunation=29d12h44m2s.7548...as demonstrated via my placing the "Extra Time duration in 30th tithi of 2771st & 5541st moons" calculations (please see photo plate sent in my previous mail).
It is common practice to adjust the New Moon sighting or Dark Moon - and while changing moon phases; to adjust local needs. I may not understand the 'declining popularity of Gregorian calendar' - my inputs & calculations are really pointing to the building and continuity of the Gregorian calendar, like adoption/switching of Gregorian calendar recently by Saudi Arabia effective 2016 October 01. I think it is in keeping alive the continuation of Gregorian calendar - a theme I adopted since 1971 June 06 "A World Calendar for All Ages".
    I would appreciate, if my contributions prove meaningful, when I am not alive - since already given my Prime Time struggling to make 'experts read' between what I have contributed via my published/ media contributions; and the discussions I have had with professionals.
Regards,
Ex-Flt Lt Brij Bhushan VIJ, Author
Brij-Gregorian Modified calendar
Monday, 2017 June 05H08:94 (decimal)