calendar riddle

Sepp Rothwangl
Dear list members

In the abbey of Admont/styria/Austria there is an example of an old farmers calendar, which is said to be of late 15th or early 16th century.

If you cannot identify the sundays (red) in the image, the first day of January is a Monday!

Exactly what year represents this calendar?

Have fun!

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -240.264
[hidden email]
www.calendersign.com
facebook.com/sepp.rothwangl

Re: calendar riddle

Victor Engel
Dear Sepp and Calendar People,

Interesting image. I thought that symbol at the beginning of April would be the best clue, indicating when Jesus was scourged, but that appears to be on a Wednesday, when the scourging should have been on a Friday. I'll study it more later.

Victor

Have fun!

Re: calendar riddle

Sepp Rothwangl
Victor,
You can be sure it is a Christian calendar, at least of a Christian sect.
It is a forerunner of a still printed Styrian famers calendar:

WOW! i found there right now that very same image:

I my opinion 25 March marks Mary’s Annuciation. And Eater could be 22th April (Phoenix?)

Any other ideas?

Servus
Sepp

Am 24.05.2017 um 18:53 schrieb Victor Engel <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Dar Sepp,

I realized after posting it was probably Christian, given several of the symbols, including the one for Epiphany. Don't have time to look into it more now. I will check again after work.

Victor

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Sepp ROTHWANGL <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Victor, Walter & Sepp

I see that the last Sunday in February is 3 days before the last day as for January and hence February has 28 days and so the calendar of the year is linked here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_year_starting_on_Monday

It looks like Easter is on March 25 with Holy Thursday marked instead of Good Friday.  Wednesday, February 14 is marked either as St Valentine’s day or Ash Wednesday.

Re: calendar riddle

Walter J Ziobro

My guess is that March 25 is the Annunciation

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Victor, Walter & Sepp

I see that the last Sunday in February is 3 days before the last day as for January and hence February has 28 days and so the calendar of the year is linked here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_year_starting_on_Monday

It looks like Easter is on March 25 with Holy Thursday marked instead of Good Friday.  Wednesday, February 14 is marked either as St Valentine’s day or Ash Wednesday.

Re: calendar riddle

Karl Palmen

Dear Walter and Calendar People

March 25 is the only marked Sunday within the range of Easter day. I then realise Ash Wednesday would then be February 7, which is not marked, but the previous day, which would be Shrove Tuesday is marked.

Re: calendar riddle

Sepp Rothwangl
Walter,
I agree with you about Annunciation on March 25 showing Gabriel and Mary,
Then April 22 would be Easter Monday showing in the symbol of the Phenix, which is also a symbol of Jesus, also resurrected on the third day (See: Physiologus).
So there would be only two candidates: 1470 and 1481

Any other  ideas?

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -240.263

Am 25.05.2017 um 16:40 schrieb Walter J Ziobro <[hidden email]>:

If Karl's theory is correct then May 3rd would be Ascension Thursday Then possible years from 1450-1550 would be 1459,  & 1543, Julian

It would appear then that Easter felll on the Annunciation Interestingly the image clearly shows Gabriel addressing Mary and not a symbol of Easter

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Walter and Calendar People

March 25 is the only marked Sunday within the range of Easter day. I then realise Ash Wednesday would then be February 7, which is not marked, but the previous day, which would be Shrove Tuesday is marked.

Re: calendar riddle

Vladimir Pakhomov-2

When did January become the first month of the year in Europe?

Vladimir Pakhomov

http://dominorus.majestic64.com/

Re: calendar riddle

Sepp Rothwangl
Walter, no doubt this calendar started with 1 January!

It was common in Middle Ages to start the year count on March 25 the Annunciation which I suspect was the case with this calendar

Re: calendar riddle

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Sepp

The form of the calendar. does not tell us the date from which the years were counted To a modern mind this seems odd but Medieval folk had a different perspective Wikipedia tells us that the Holy Roman Empire did not use January 1 as the first day of the counted year until 1544 The info you provided indicates that this calendar was used in Austria prior to the Gregorian reform or even 1544 On that basis I think it reasonable to assume that the users of this calendar would have counted the AD years from March 25

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 Sepp ROTHWANGL <[hidden email]> wrote:

Walter, no doubt this calendar started with 1 January!

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -240.263
[hidden email]
www.calendersign.com
facebook.com/sepp.rothwangl

It was common in Middle Ages to start the year count on March 25 the Annunciation which I suspect was the case with this calendar

Re: calendar riddle

Otero, Daniel

According to the Wikipedia article on “January”,

1 January became the first day of the year in 600 AUC of the Roman calendar (153 BC), due to disasters in the Lusitanian War. A Lusitanian chief called Punicus invaded the Roman territory, defeated two Roman governors, and killed their troops. The Romans resolved to send a consul to Hispania, and in order to accelerate the dispatch of aid, "they even made the new consuls enter into office two months and a half before the legal time" (March 15).

--Danny Otero