Weekend Rest Calendar

k.palmen@btinternet.com
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Calendar People

I have previously posted to this list the idea of a Calendar, inspired by a calendar that normally displays one day per page but puts both weekend days on the same page. This calendar has 'dates' that consist of either one weekday or a whole weekend. Then we can have 12 months each of 26 'dates', except the last month, which has 27 dates in a common year and 28 dates in a leap year. Then leap years need occur only once every 15 or 16 year, because a common year starting on Saturday has 53 weekends and so 366 days.

Now I explore the idea further and come up with a calendar to use. I found that the calendar is simpler if the leap years occur in intervals of 11 and 17 years, rather than 15 and 16 years, because every leap year then begins on the same day of the week. This also means we can avoid leap years that begin on a Friday or Saturday, which have 367 days. Also we can avoid leap years that begin on a Monday or Thursday, which occur next another 366-day year. So I choose leap years to begin on Wednesday.

The simplest accurate cycle is the 62-year cycle with 4 leap year (17+17+17+11). I choose the Rata Die epoch of Monday 1 January 1 CE in the Proleptic Gregorian calendar and leap years on the 3rd, 20th, 37th & 54th years of the 62-year cycle. Then the years of the 62-year cycle begin thus:

Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa

01 02 03 -- 04 05

06 07 08 09 10 11

12 13 14 15 16 17

18 19 20 -- 21 22

23 24 25 26 27 28

29 30 31 32 33 34

35 36 37 -- 38 39

40 41 42 43 44 45

46 47 48 49 50 51

52 53 54 -- 55 56

57 58 59 60 61 62

This year 2020 is the 36th year of a 62-year cycle (2020 - (32*62) = 36) and begins on a Tuesday and therefore on Tuesday 31 December 2019. Today is the 33rd day of that year so the 29th 'date', making it Saturday, date 3 of Month 2. Tomorrow will be Sunday, date 3 of Month 2 Year 2020 and the following day Monday, date 4 of Month 2, with 'Monday' optional ('Saturday' & 'Sunday' not optional).

I call it the Weekend Rest Calendar, because the calendar takes a rest at the weekend. It is not a serious calendar reform proposal, but something to explore.

Karl

Saturday, 3 Month 2, Year 2020

Saturday Alpha February 2020

Re: Weekend Rest Calendar

Walter J Ziobro
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Karl

A similar result can be obtained by organizing my Olympiad Calendar into Pentiads and Hexiads of year groups 6-5 and 6-5-6

WalterZiobro

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 k.palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Walter and Calendar People

The pentads and hexads can be arranged in a 62-year cycle as

6-6-5 6-6-5 6-6-5 6-5 to get a corresponding leap week calendar.

Indeed each year that begins on Saturday corresponds to a leap week year.

I've worked out some more new years:

2020 (36th) Tue 31 Dec 2019

2021 (37th) Wed 30 Dec 2020 (leap year)

2022 (38th) Fri 31 Dec 2021

2023 (39th) Sat 31 Dec 2022

2024 (40th) Mon 1 Jan 2024

2025 (41st) Tue 31 Dec 2024

That years have drifted about 1 day earlier relative to Gregorian since 1 CE. The difference is 7 days (1 week) in 12,400 years, about 1 day in 1771 years.

Karl

Sunday, 3 Month 2 Year 2020

Sunday Alpha February 2020

Saturday Alpha February 2020

13520.11.18 - Re: Weekend Rest Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

18♒20 UCC

Hi Walter

Can you share a link to your Olympiad Calendar please? I am collecting all the calendars created by people on this list into bookmarks for ease of reference

Thanks

Litmus

-----------------------
Litmus A Freeman
Creator of the Universal Celestial Calendar
www.universalcelestialcalendar.com
On 2/1/20 9:14 PM, Walter J Ziobro wrote:
[...]

Re: 13520.11.18 - Re: Weekend Rest Calendar

Walter J Ziobro
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Litmus:

Here is a link to the page that describes my Olympiad Calendar

:https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Olympiad_Calendar_with_Smoothly_Spread_Month_Lengths

Also, here is a link to a page that indexes other calendars that I have designed:

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Category:Walter_Ziobro

Saturday Alpha February 2020

Re: 13520.11.18 - Re: Weekend Rest Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

20♒20 UCC

Thanks Walter

Litmus A Freeman
Creator of the Universal Celestial Calendar (UCC)