Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

I remind you that today (Oct 31) is a vember and each vember occurs either 33 or 34 days after the previous vember, therefore next month has no vember.

I also found out (thanks to Irv) that a vember is something that makes one nervous  or uptight, so it is appropriate that Halloween is a vember.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vember This definition is not available in Wiktionary.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Victor Engel
Dear Karl,

Are they called vembers because November has none? If so, there are two other possible sets, out of phase -1 and -2 days from the set you quoted, respectively. We could do something similar with, for example, tember.

Also, do some of the dates vary with the position in the leap year cycle?

Victor

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Calendar People

I remind you that today (Oct 31) is a vember and each vember occurs either 33 or 34 days after the previous vember, therefore next month has no vember.

I also found out (thanks to Irv) that a vember is something that makes one nervous  or uptight, so it is appropriate that Halloween is a vember.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vember This definition is not available in Wiktionary.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Karl Palmen

Dear Victor and Calendar People

I didn’t mention that also each vember, besides the one in March occurs either 1 month 2 days or 1 month 3 days after the previous. If one also makes Oct 31 and Jan 6 both vembers, there is only one other possibility, which has Aug 25 a vember instead of Aug 26.

In my choice, every vember that occurs 34 days after previous vember, occurs in a 31-day month. This includes March 13 of a leap year. The preceding month always has an odd number of days.

Note that the 33-day and 34-day intervals are not spread as smoothly as possible. This is not possible for vembers that always occur on the same dates of each year, because of the leap years. The 34-day intervals are Dec 3 to Jan 6, July 23 to Aug 26 and in leap years Feb 8 to Mar 13.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Victor Engel
Dear Karl,

Why make October 31 and January 6 vembers?

Victor

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Victor and Calendar People

I didn’t mention that also each vember, besides the one in March occurs either 1 month 2 days or 1 month 3 days after the previous. If one also makes Oct 31 and Jan 6 both vembers, there is only one other possibility, which has Aug 25 a vember instead of Aug 26.

In my choice, every vember that occurs 34 days after previous vember, occurs in a 31-day month. This includes March 13 of a leap year. The preceding month always has an odd number of days.

Note that the 33-day and 34-day intervals are not spread as smoothly as possible. This is not possible for vembers that always occur on the same dates of each year, because of the leap years. The 34-day intervals are Dec 3 to Jan 6, July 23 to Aug 26 and in leap years Feb 8 to Mar 13.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Christoph Päper-2
Karl Palmen:

So what exactly is a "vember" and what motivated its creation? Even <http://calendars.wikia.com/wiki/Vember> is a non-existing article.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Victor Engel
Apparently, it's what there is none of in November. Get it?

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Christoph Päper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remind you that today (Oct 31) is a vember and each vember occurs either 33 or 34 days after the previous vember, therefore next month has no vember.

Dear Christoph, Victor and Calendar People

Apparently, it's what there is none of in November. Get it?

No vember in November.

Karl

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Christoph Päper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remind you that today (Oct 31) is a vember and each vember occurs either 33 or 34 days after the previous vember, therefore next month has no vember.

I made Oct 31 & Jan 6 vembers, because they were special occasions and such vembers can be fitted so that each vember occurs either 33 or 34 days after previous vember and each vember, except the one in March, occurs 1 month and 2 or 3 days after the previous vember.

I believe it is possible to arrange the vembers so that they are spaced as smoothly as possible and never occur in Gregorian November. The vembers would then occur on different dates in different years. The 400-year cycle would have 4400 vembers of which 897 are late vembers, which occur 34 days after previous and the other 3503 occur 33 days after previous.

Normally every 5th vember would be a late vember, but once every 49 or 54 vembers, this 5-vember cycle of 166 days, would be truncated to 133 days of 4 vembers. The 400-year cycle would have 85 of these truncations to provide 17 late vembers in addition to 4400/5. 47 of these 85 truncations would occur after 54 vembers and 38 would occur after 49 vembers.

Further examination of the 54s and 49s shows that the structural complexity of this 400-year cycle of 4400 vembers is six. (1/5, 11/54, 21/103, 95/466, 401/1967, 897/4400).

Ah, thanks. I assumed the pun came after the concept. I guess the other conditions are that there must be at least 1 vember in every other month and it should not vary much in length.

Re: Vembers FW: Halloween and Epiphany are Vembers

Karl Palmen
Dear Christoph and Calendar People

Yes. Christoph's guess is correct.