Quantcast

VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
Hi.

List members interested in computing planetary positions way back into the past or far into the future should have a look at the new ephemeris software package VSOP2013 recently published by G. Francou & J.-L. Simon from the Institut de Mécanique céleste et de calcul des éphémérides (IMCCE).

The necessary data files and FORTRAN codes can be downloaded from the IMCCE ftp site

  ftp://ftp.imcce.fr/pub/ephem/planets/vsop2013/

The ephemerides are made available in two formats:

1) as Chebyshev polynomials valid between -4500 and +4500 ('ephemerides')

2) as an analytical solution based on a time-series development of the classical elliptical elements ('solutions')

rvg

Re: VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Irv Bromberg
Irv replies:

Their VSOP2013 and TOP2013 paper is forthcoming to be published in Astronomy and Astrophysics:
http://www.aanda.org/index.php?option=com_article&access=doi&doi=10.1051/0004-6361/201321843

I'm mainly interested in Earth and Moon, for some reason...
Their "solutions" yield the Earth-Moon barycenter, which I suppose is OK for the purposes of calendrical calculations.

What is the TOP2013 theory?

-- Irv Bromberg, University of Toronto, Canada

rvg

Re: VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)

Hu Irv,

TOP2013, online at

  ftp://ftp.imcce.fr/pub/ephem/planets/top2013/

is a similar analytical solution for the outer planets (Jupiter to Neptune) and the dwarf planet Pluto.

rvg

2) as an analytical solution based on a time-series development of the classical elliptical elements ('solutions')

Re: VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Irv Bromberg
Jupiter thru Pluto are included in VSOP2013 -- is the TOP2013 solution more accurate for those planets?

-- Irv

  ftp://ftp.imcce.fr/pub/ephem/planets/top2013/

is a similar analytical solution for the outer planets (Jupiter to Neptune) and the dwarf planet Pluto.

rvg

2) as an analytical solution based on a time-series development of the classical elliptical elements ('solutions')

Re: VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)

Hi Irv,

I do not know – I have not studied the README files close enough.

The forthcoming A&A article – which alerted me to the existence of the VSOP2013 software – will probably give all details.

Rob

Jupiter thru Pluto are included in VSOP2013 -- is the TOP2013 solution more accurate for those planets?

-- Irv

  ftp://ftp.imcce.fr/pub/ephem/planets/top2013/

is a similar analytical solution for the outer planets (Jupiter to Neptune) and the dwarf planet Pluto.

rvg

2) as an analytical solution based on a time-series development of the classical elliptical elements ('solutions')

Re: VSOP2013: New planetary ephemerides valid from -4500 to +4500

Tom Peters-6
Op 17 jul 2013, om 19:22 heeft Irv Bromberg het volgende geschreven:

> Jupiter thru Pluto are included in VSOP2013 -- is the TOP2013 solution more accurate for those planets?

Apparently this is a modernization of the theories VSOP-82 (Bretagnon) and TOP-82 (Simon) from the 1980's.
TOP-82 derived expressions only for the giant planets; this appears to be the first to provide analytical expressions for Pluto.
VSOP-82 developed the planetary orbits for the variables a,l,k,h,q,p, where the latter four are a complex mix of the usual angular variables e,pi,i,and Omega; the results were later developed into a more traditional Fourier series for the longitude and radius vector.  TOP-82 developed the planetary orbits in the usual angular variables.  I suppose the same holds for VSOP-2013 and TOP-2013.
I never understood the relevance of TOP-82 but apparently it is still worthwhile to re-iterate that path.

--
Tom Peters