UCC & Balanced French Calendar

k.palmen@btinternet.com
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Calendar People

I've realised that Litmus's UCC is very similar to Walter's Balanced French Calendar.

Both calendars can be found at the calendar wikia

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Universal_Celestial_Calendar for UCC and

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Balanced_French_Calendar for the Balanced French Calendar.

Walter admits that he lets his quarter days wander away from the equinoxes and solstices, in order to have equal quarters. An advantage of equal quarters is that the day of the week, each month begins, follows a 3-month quarterly cycle within each year, but not from year to year.

Karl

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Walter J Ziobro
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Karl

Yes, that's so But,IMO, the wandering, or equinoctal jittering, can be lessened with a 33 year leap day rule

WalterZiobro

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 k.palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Calendar People

I've realised that Litmus's UCC is very similar to Walter's Balanced French Calendar.

Both calendars can be found at the calendar wikia

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Universal_Celestial_Calendar for UCC and

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Balanced_French_Calendar for the Balanced French Calendar.

Walter admits that he lets his quarter days wander away from the equinoxes and solstices, in order to have equal quarters. An advantage of equal quarters is that the day of the week, each month begins, follows a 3-month quarterly cycle within each year, but not from year to year.

Karl

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

25 Aquarius♒ 13520 UCC

Dear Karl

You realised this a long time ago actually and have written about it several times in the past. In fact when Walter came up with the balanced French version (in 2018 I seem to remember) you wrote a reply to him pointing out that he had used the same approach as the UCC which I had shared with this list for the first time a couple of months previously.

I connected my UCC and Walter's Balanced French Calendar via links on their pages on the Calendar Wikia so that anyone who views either page can easily cross reference with the other.

It's cool that our ideas can inspire others to their own creations. None of us has all the answers and it is by sharing our creativity and knowledge that we all raise our levels of consciousness

Also please do not forget, as I have stated many times, that the UCC was never created to be a supremely accurate ecliptic longitude calendar. Its inception was purely number based and intended to be balanced for ease of use worldwide. It was only subsequently that I realised that it closely aligned with the tropical zodiac and appended the names of the sun signs to the number derived names of its 12 Triads (months). Having said that I am still interested to see what discrepancies your method comes up with, once we are sure we are using the same data!

I hope that's clear now and we don't have to go around this loop again :)

Universally yours

Litmus

-----------------------
Litmus A Freeman
Creator of the Universal Celestial Calendar (UCC)
www.universalcelestialcalendar.com
On 2/13/20 10:39 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Calendar People

I've realised that Litmus's UCC is very similar to Walter's Balanced French Calendar.

Both calendars can be found at the calendar wikia

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Universal_Celestial_Calendar for UCC and

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Balanced_French_Calendar for the Balanced French Calendar.

Walter admits that he lets his quarter days wander away from the equinoxes and solstices, in order to have equal quarters. An advantage of equal quarters is that the day of the week, each month begins, follows a 3-month quarterly cycle within each year, but not from year to year.

Karl

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

25/11/20 UCC

Walter

I agree!

Litmus

-----------------------
On 2/13/20 11:13 AM, Walter J Ziobro wrote:
[...]

I think that the Balanced French Calendar, and the UCC, are two of the better calendars invented, here or anywhere else. Although I prefer the Traditional FRC over the Balanced, simply because I like the five Blank Days at the end, I freely admit that I do see the argument for putting them where Walter did as well. What he did is logical.

Jamison E. Painter, MA

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, 8:33 AM Litmus UCC Zone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Litmus and Calendar People

Thank you for making it clear. Litmus.

Karl

Saturday Gamma February 2020

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

29♒20 UCC

Karl

You're welcome.

Last time we discussed this issue I also shared another calendar I had come across which used virtually the same technique of using the 5 intercalary days to balance the seasons, but this one started at the Capricorn♑Solstice.

I share this link again in case anyone missed it last time:

http://www.naturescalendar.org/

It had been called The Aquarian Calendar' initially and later 'Natures Calendar'. Sadly a lot of the graphics which showed the layout seem to have disappeared from the website now. But I have corresponded in the past with its creator Kelly, who seems to be on a similar wavelength. (I notice now she also has a 'Calendar Clock'!)

Anyway, you may find it of interest

Litmus

-----------------------

------ Original Message ------ From: "Litmus UCC Zone" [hidden email] To: [hidden email] Sent: Thursday, 13 Feb, 2020 At 14:32 Subject: Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar
[...]

Dear Litmus, Walter and Calendar People

It would be interesting to see the differences between the calendars as they are run. If the Balanced French Calendar were to use September equinox to define its new year as the French Republican Calendar intended. Then the Balanced French months would run a few days later than the UCC months and the third calendar would have its months begin in between.

Karl

Wednesday Delta February 2020

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

3♓20 UCC

Karl

Yes, we can look at this

I also agree that the BFC would be better starting at the Libra♎Equinox, since it is derived from the FRC. But I'm sure Walter will have something to say on that ;)

Litmus

-----------------------

------ Original Message ------ From: "Litmus UCC Zone" [hidden email] To: [hidden email] Sent: Monday, 17 Feb, 2020 At 16:07 Subject: Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar
[...]

Dear Litmus et al

There are a couple of reasons why I chose to start the BFC at the southward equinox

First, it was where the French chose to start their year

But, also, it works well with my preferred epoch, the Anno Lucis, which started in 4000BCE, altho, that usually starts in January What I like about 4000BCE is that it is a date conveniently close to when the apsids and equinoxes were last alighned At that time, the perihelion was occurring close to the southward equinox

WalterZiobro

On Friday, February 21, 2020 Litmus UCC Zone <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jamison Painter
This email originated from outside ECU.

WALTER:

What was the impetus behind your creation of the BFC? I am genuinely curious.

Jamison E. Painter, MA

3 Ventôse An CCXXVIII, Matthiola

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020, 12:54 PM Walter J Ziobro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Jamison

The purpose of the BFC is to make the French Calendar have more nearly equal quarters, and make the distributed extra days occur close to the equinoxes and solstices

WalterZiobro

On Friday, February 21, 2020 Jamison Painter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Walter and Calendar People

These two purposes are in conflict.

Karl

Monday Epsilon February 2020

Thursday Gamma February 2020

Re: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

6 Pisces♓ 13520 UCC

Dear Walter

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense. I like epochs which are related to some astronomical/natural milestone such as this, or a stellar or planetary alignment

(Your BFC epoch equates to 7501 UCC)

Litmus

-----------------------
On 2/21/20 6:54 PM, Walter J Ziobro wrote:
[...]

6♓20 UCC

Dear Walter

This doesn't really answer Jamison's question. He was inquiring as to the impetus behind the BFC, (what gave you the idea/inspiration for it?) rather than the purpose of it

Do you remember what gave you the impetus?

regards

Litmus

On 2/22/20 11:36 AM, Walter J Ziobro wrote:
[...]

Dear WALTER, LITMUS, and all:

Well, his answer kind of answers my question, and kind of does not. I see the reasons, or perhaps the benefits, of the BFC. What I DO NOT see, perhaps, is how it ever occurred to WALTER to look at the FRC in that light at all. Given the fact that the FRC  is not used (unfortunately, in my opinion), in France, or anywhere else, in today's day and age, what led you to ever contemplate changing the FRC at all?

Jamison E. Painter, MA

6 Ventôse An CCXXVIII, Wild Ginger.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020, 9:31 AM Litmus UCC Zone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fwd: UCC & Balanced French Calendar

Jamison Painter