Today's Islamic Date

Palmen, KEV (Karl)

Pleiades

Victor Engel
All,

We enter a period now where the moon fairly regularly occults stars of
Pleides. This should offer some fantastic shows over the coming months.
I believe Europe had a show a couple days ago. Next showings are around
January 9-10 and February 6.

Re: Pleiades

Gent van R.H.
Victor Engel wrote:

> We enter a period now where the moon fairly regularly occults
> stars of Pleides. This should offer some fantastic shows over
> the coming months.
> I believe Europe had a show a couple days ago. Next showings
> are around January 9-10 and February 6.

You can easily check out the circumstances at your location with SkyViewCafe

  http://www.skyviewcafe.com/

by selecting the "Moon - 8 degree Span" option.

As seen from Utrecht the Moon will pass under the Pleiades just before dawn
on January 10 - which happens to coincide with Id al-Atha (the "Feast of
Sacrifice" at the last day of the Hajj) according to the Umm al-Qura
calendar.

At the next closest approach (morning of February 6) the Moon will be below
the horizon but the close appulse of the Moon with Mars will be easily
visible in de evening of the 5th.

* Robert H. van Gent                                  *
* E-mail: [hidden email]                     *
* Homepage: http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vgent/homepage.htm *

Re: Pleiades

Sepp Rothwangl
Am 16.12.2005 um 06:49 schrieb Victor Engel:

> All,
>
> We enter a period now where the moon fairly regularly occults stars of
> Pleides. This should offer some fantastic shows over the coming
> months. I believe Europe had a show a couple days ago. Next showings
> are around January 9-10 and February 6.
>
> Victor

All,
In this concern I want to remind you to the Grimms fairy tale "The wolf
and the seven little goats".
The pleiads in Spain are still called the seven "cabrillas" (little
goats) and the moon-wolf is well knows as fenrir.
The moon needs three attempts in three consecutive months to occult
(cover or eat up) all stars of the Pleiads.
Published by Ralf Koneckis: Märchen und Mythen

Sepp