To all.

Jamison Painter
To all on the listserv:

At the moment, I am experiencing severe medical distress, such that I may not respond to this list frequently for a time. I shall still read each and every message sent, and I shall attempt to respond to the best of them. Michael Ossipoff, this applies particularly to all of your very interesting posts. Please continue to send them, but don't expect anywhere near frequent answers. Thank you, and my regrets to all.

Sincerely,

Jamison E. Painter, MA
6 Floréal CCXXVI, Common Columbine.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:44 PM Brij Bhushan metric VIJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael, Amos sirs:
>2b) Specify, in the proposal that individual locations could use their own customized >local month-names (...but using "Cold", "Colder", "North" "Southward", etc., for international.......business and >communication.
It is my impression, such a move may only delay ‘indefinitely’ the ideals for Reforming the Gregorian calendar - a basic need of this forum; perhaps the total process gets derailed; and efforts utilized may go down the darain. The world population at large may have the chance to only ‘mock’ at the calendarists- in action but do not intend to voice their feelings. However, if 10-day ideals are in ‘serious in-thing’, my proposed format (1973) as also contained in my book: Towards A Unified Technology-1982- discussed at length, need a fresh renewal.

It may not be out of place to mention that I shelved and overthrew the entire process (in a bid to constantly improve upon aimed needs, due the COST factor during transition down to man-on- street...especially the children & their mothers who already are over pressed for want of “time & resources”.
My comparison, may need some study ‘argumentative & examination’. It shall be only unfortunate; the task already in sight may get wasted &/or derailed leaving the world intellegentia mocking at the group.
This photograph, although a longish; is a comparative study of several calendars proposed & discussed, during my interactions with Calendar-L (see above).

Rules upon which my Brij-Gregorian Modified Calendar FORMAT has already been projected; and placed herein (above) for any improvements.
Regards,
Ex-Flt Lt Brij Bhushan VIJ (Retd.), Author
Brij-Gregorian Modified Calendar
Wednesday, 2018 April 25H18:71(decimal)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2018, at 4:55 PM, Michael Ossipoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jamison--

As I've said, I like FRC's seasonal month-names, but, as Amos pointed out, there is the question of worldwide applicability.

There are  few solutions to the worldwide-applicability of FRC's month-names:
.
1. For one naming-system applicable both north and south of the equator, the only choice for seasonal-naming would be names like North, South, Northward, etc, (referring to solar-declination), or something very similar.

2. For places on the same side of the equator, there are two approaches, which could be used individually or together:

...a) Use much more general and relative names., For example, replace "Frost" and "Snow" with "Cold" and "Colder".
...b) Specify, in the proposal that individual locations could use their own customized local month-names (...but using "Cold", "Colder", "North" "Southward", etc., for international
.......business and communication.

Michael Ossipoff

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 5:23 PM, Jamison Painter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you. I have found that on my Kindle, and will buy it when money allows.

Jamison
3 Floréal CCXXVI, Fern.

    On 2018-04-21 05:43, Jamison Painter listed
    some books on calendars, but missed an important
    one:

       Edward M Reingold, Nachum Dershowitz: "Calendrical
       Calculations: The Ultimate Edition."
       Cambridge University Press.
       2018 Cambridge. ISBN 978-1-107-68317-7.

    The book gives reliable conversions for some two dozen
    calendars (with several variants) in simple formulas.
    It also describes the astronomical concepts underlying
    astronomically defined calendars: the formulas use the
    French analytical ephemerides as specified by Meeus.
    The book also gives some historical information
    for each calendar. All the information is given with
    references to primary sources. For a technical book
    it is an easy read; a general programming background
    may be helpful in places.

    Michael Deckers.

image2.jpeg (161K) Download Attachment

Re: To all.

Michael Ossipoff
Jamison--

I'm sorry to hear about the medical situation. As I'm sure we all do, I completely understand if you don't reply as often during this time.

But later, when you can reply, I'll be interested in hearing what you think about my suggestions for solutions to the international-applicability problem for month-names & season-names, especially as regards French-Republican.

I emphasize that I'm not critical or rejecting of FRC. I just regard it as a proposal for a very big societal celebratory occasion, like the one at which the French enacted it.  ...a time when people want, are ready for, and in fact have already made,  a drastic, complete break with the past.

Michael Ossipoff

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Jamison Painter <[hidden email]> wrote:
To all on the listserv:

At the moment, I am experiencing severe medical distress, such that I may not respond to this list frequently for a time. I shall still read each and every message sent, and I shall attempt to respond to the best of them. Michael Ossipoff, this applies particularly to all of your very interesting posts. Please continue to send them, but don't expect anywhere near frequent answers. Thank you, and my regrets to all.

Sincerely,

Jamison E. Painter, MA
6 Floréal CCXXVI, Common Columbine.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:44 PM Brij Bhushan metric VIJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael, Amos sirs:
>2b) Specify, in the proposal that individual locations could use their own customized >local month-names (...but using "Cold", "Colder", "North" "Southward", etc., for international.......business and >communication.
It is my impression, such a move may only delay ‘indefinitely’ the ideals for Reforming the Gregorian calendar - a basic need of this forum; perhaps the total process gets derailed; and efforts utilized may go down the darain. The world population at large may have the chance to only ‘mock’ at the calendarists- in action but do not intend to voice their feelings. However, if 10-day ideals are in ‘serious in-thing’, my proposed format (1973) as also contained in my book: Towards A Unified Technology-1982- discussed at length, need a fresh renewal.
image1.jpeg
It may not be out of place to mention that I shelved and overthrew the entire process (in a bid to constantly improve upon aimed needs, due the COST factor during transition down to man-on- street...especially the children & their mothers who already are over pressed for want of “time & resources”.
My comparison, may need some study ‘argumentative & examination’. It shall be only unfortunate; the task already in sight may get wasted &/or derailed leaving the world intellegentia mocking at the group.
This photograph, although a longish; is a comparative study of several calendars proposed & discussed, during my interactions with Calendar-L (see above).
image2.jpeg
[...]

I emphasize that we all wish you a speedy recovery.

Michael Ossipoff