Thai color of week days

Amos Shapir
In a recent news piece about the king of Thailand celebrating 60 years of
reigning, there was a picture of a crowd of people celebrating outside the
palace, all wearing yellow.  It was explained that since the king was born
on a Monday, they were wearing the color of that day.

Looking further into it, I found the site:
http://www.id90.com/Thailand%20city%20review/Thailand_weekdays.htm

It is interesting to note that the planets associated with weekdays are the
same as those used in the west.  I wonder where was their origin?  I don't
know of any western culture which uses colors to designate days of the week
(well, except Karl's "Rainbow" calendar...)

Re: Thai color of week days

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Calendar People

Here are the colours

Sunday    Sun     Red
Monday    Moon    Yellow
Tuesday   Mars    Pink   (odd choice)
Wednesday Mercury Green
Thursday  Orange  Jupiter
Friday    Venus   Blue
Saturday  Saturn  Purple formerly Black

In my rainbow alphabet calendar
http://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/palmen/rainbow.htm#abc
the 25 June 2006 is the Annual Magentaday, so until then we have

Sunday    Red (as Thai)
Monday    Orange
Tuesday   Yellow
Wednesday Green (as Thai)
Thursday  Blue
Friday    Indigo
Saturday  Violet (as Thai)

then for 52 weeks after 25 June 2006 we have

Monday    Red
Tuesday   Orange
Wednesday Yellow
Thursday  Green
Friday    Blue (as Thai)
Saturday  Indigo
Sunday    Violet.

Re: Thai color of week days

Paw Yi Lee
The King of Thailand [formerly Siam] adopted western-style calendars in the 19th century. Whereas in the Thai lunisolar calendar months are simply numbered from 1 to 12, with the adoption of a solar calendar, the months were named in accordance with ancient tradition with the [Thai] name of the zodiac most closely associated with that month. Days of the week were similarly named afer the [Thai] name of the planets.

Lee

Amos Shapir wrote