Simple leap rules with N-day week RE: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Simple leap rules with N-day week RE: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Karl Palmen

Dear Irv, Christoph and Calendar People

The 6-day cycle is very lucky in having accurate year-length rules that are simple when the long and short years are spread as smoothly as possible. The only other N-day cycles up to 30 days that have such accurate year-length rules are 1-day, 3-day, 17-day & 26-day cycles.

Here I list the cycles of such year-length rules with mean year in the range 365.2416 to 365.2428 days:

N  Days  Years LongYrs  Mean Year

-----------------------------------

 1  12053    33       8  365.24242

-----------------------------------

3  33237    91      68  365.24176

 3  34698    95      71  365.24211

 3  36159    99      74  365.24242

3  37620   103      77  365.24272

----------------------------------

6  34698    95      83  365.24211

6  37620   103      90  365.24272

17  12053    33      16  365.24242

26 122356   335      16  365.24179

26 114686   314      15  365.24204

26 107016   293      14  365.24232

26  99346   272      13  365.24265

For example, the 293-year cycle for the 26-day cycle can have every 14th year long within each 293-year cycle starting with the 7th year, which gives a symmetrical cycle whose long years are spread as smoothly as possible (i.e. a Helios Cycle). The interval between long years is 14 years within a 293-year cycle, but 13 between 293-year cycles (one year different). Each short year has 14 26-day cycles (364 days) and each long year has 15 26-day cycles (390 days).

Each of the 6-day cycle year-length cycles appears as a 3-day cycle year-length cycle, but with twice as many short years. Also additional year-length cycles appear with an odd number of days.