Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Karl Palmen

Dear Walter & Calendar People

Another thing mentioned in the article is that Saudi Arabia changed its civil calendar from the Islamic Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar on October 1, 2016, while paying its civil servants the same rate per year so effectively cutting pay by about 2.98%. This is also mentioned in the Independent (a UK newspaper)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-calendar-gregorian-switches-to-pay-workers-less-save-money-a7342331.html

More references to it are found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Civil_calendar

Re: Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Walter J Ziobro
Dear Karl and Calendar List:

I thought of a calendar that might be useful in the Muslim world.  I call it the Solar Calendar with Lunar Months and Leap Weeks:

The months are named with Arabic letters, and have the following lengths:

Alif     - 30 days
Ba     - 29 days
Ta      - 30 days
Tha    - 29 days
Jim    - 30 days
Ha     - 29 days
Kha   - 30 days
Dal    - 29 days
Dhal  - 30 days
Ra    - 29 days
Zayn - 30 days
Sin   - 29 days
Shin - 10 days (17 in leap years)

The lengths are arranged such that the moon has the same phase on the same day of every month, although the new moon occurrences will fall on a different month date from year to year.

The year always begins on Saturday. the usual start of the week in many Muslim countries, with the ISO weekday designation of W52-6.  Leap weeks are added whenever necessary to keep the start date on W52-6.

-Walter Ziobro

Another thing mentioned in the article is that Saudi Arabia changed its civil calendar from the Islamic Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar on October 1, 2016, while paying its civil servants the same rate per year so effectively cutting pay by about 2.98%. This is also mentioned in the Independent (a UK newspaper)

More references to it are found at

Here is a link to an article by Steve Hanke recommending the Hanke Henry Calendar to Saudi Arabia:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevehanke/2017/05/27/saudis-in-a-tight-corner-the-princes-make-clever-moves-mistakes-too/#713ee63f28a9

Re: Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Karl Palmen

Dear Walter and Calendar People

Walter said

“The year always begins on Saturday. the usual start of the week in many Muslim countries, with the ISO weekday designation of W52-6.  Leap weeks are added whenever necessary to keep the start date on W52-6.”

Might it not be better to start the year on the last Saturday before ISO week 1, so every date from Alif 3 to Shin 12 has a constant ISO week date and Shin has 17 days in the same years that ISO has 53 weeks.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that Saudi Arabia changed its civil calendar from the Islamic Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar on October 1, 2016, while paying its civil servants the same rate per year so effectively cutting pay by about 2.98%. This is also mentioned in the Independent (a UK newspaper)

More references to it are found at

Here is a link to an article by Steve Hanke recommending the Hanke Henry Calendar to Saudi Arabia:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevehanke/2017/05/27/saudis-in-a-tight-corner-the-princes-make-clever-moves-mistakes-too/#713ee63f28a9

Re: Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl

Do you mean start on W53-6 in leap years?  If so, I accept that

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Walter, Robert and Calendar People

Using https://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/islam/ummalqura.htm I find that in 2017, the Islamic months usually begin on the last day of the month in this Solar Calendar with lunar Months.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that Saudi Arabia changed its civil calendar from the Islamic Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar on October 1, 2016, while paying its civil servants the same rate per year so effectively cutting pay by about 2.98%. This is also mentioned in the Independent (a UK newspaper)

More references to it are found at

Here is a link to an article by Steve Hanke recommending the Hanke Henry Calendar to Saudi Arabia:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevehanke/2017/05/27/saudis-in-a-tight-corner-the-princes-make-clever-moves-mistakes-too/#713ee63f28a9

Re: Saudi Arabian Calendar Change RE: Hanke article

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl
Thanks for that information