Re: The 61-day perennial calendar

Jamison Painter
This email originated from outside ECU.

GUY:

Your calendar actually has much to recommend it. How did it occur to you to conceive of it? As you correctly point out, the Abrahamic Faiths probably would not appreciate it much, but 80% of the Orthodox world (the Russian Church accounts for 80% of Orthodoxy, and there are other Churches as well) uses the Julian Calendar, so putting the rest of the Christian world out of synch with the secular calendar does not appear to be a problem, though they would say it was.

Jamison E. Painter, MA

12 Ventôse An CCXXVIII, Elm Tree

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020, 11:01 AM Guy Barry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Partly inspired by yesterday's Leap Day, I've been looking at the various proposals for calendar reform that have been made over the years, and come up with one of my own.  Has anyone thought of anything like this before?

https://guys-diary.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-61-day-perennial-calendar.html

Re: The 61-day perennial calendar

Guy Barry
This email originated from outside ECU.

Thank you!  I've now discovered that a similar idea has already been proposed:

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/54-Week_Calendar

The main problem with that version, as I see it, is that the "missing" day is at a weekend, so most people would only get one day off during a six-day week, which would most likely cause a great deal of resentment!  There's been some talk here in the UK recently of introducing a four-day working week, which seems a much better idea and would occur once every three weeks under my proposal.  It's an idea that's been knocking round in the back of my head for some time, but I hadn't got round to working out the details until now.

Guy Barry

On 01-Mar-20 7:38 PM, Jamison Painter wrote:
[...]

You are of course, quite welcome, I am sure. Of course, one could have four-day weeks using the current calendar. I had a job wherein four-day weeks were the order of the day.

But still, your calendar is of considerable
interest to me. You appear to have created it for practical reasons, unlike much of what I see here, which is only of interest to astrologists and so-forth. This is not to say that such calendars do not have their place. They do. But it IS to say that I personally find PRACTICAL calendars of more interest.

Jamison E. Painter, MA

13 Ventôse An CCXXVIII, Common Fumitory.