Re: Alphabet--and Calendars

scott colmes
>And like someone said it is off topic. But might interest some.

>>>The phonetic convention recognizes that spanish in the 16th
>>>Century wasn't regulated, so that nahuatl in the "traditional
>>>spelling" has the same defects and orthographic variants of 500 years
>>>ago...etc etc etc

What I have noticed in this sudden swerve off topic, is that the two main
arguments seem to be  similar to the two largest families of discussions in
the Calendar list.

First, there is the argument of how realistic or important it is to make the
tracking system (letters/ calendars) as precise as possible, given that the
reality being recorded (spoken language / astronomical cycles) are not
themselves totally precise and are in a constant process of change.

The other thoughts, and they are similarly polemical, even emotional, relate
to the borrowings of alien cultures and their arbitrary or atavistic or even
vehemently resented influences.  Why should either Spanish or English be a
model for Nahuatl usage seems vaguely to echo the heat of some list members
of why we should all have to follow a "Christian" calendar, and various
other valid or whipped-up cultural and historical grudges.

This curious double similarity itself seems noteworthy, to me at least.

Re: Alphabet--and Calendars

Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD
An interesting analogy.

Pzed

scott colmes wrote:

>> And like someone said it is off topic. But might interest some.

> What I have noticed in this sudden swerve off topic, is that the two
> main arguments seem to be  similar to the two largest families of
> discussions in the Calendar list.
>
> First, there is the argument of how realistic or important it is to
> make the tracking system (letters/ calendars) as precise as possible,
> given that the reality being recorded (spoken language / astronomical
> cycles) are not themselves totally precise and are in a constant
> process of change.
>
> The other thoughts, and they are similarly polemical, even emotional,
> relate to the borrowings of alien cultures and their arbitrary or
> atavistic or even vehemently resented influences.  Why should either
> Spanish or English be a model for Nahuatl usage seems vaguely to echo
> the heat of some list members of why we should all have to follow a
> "Christian" calendar, and various other valid or whipped-up cultural
> and historical grudges.
>
> This curious double similarity itself seems noteworthy, to me at least.

Re: Alphabet--and Calendars

Marcos Villaseñor
I think so too, It has also allowed me to reflectt even more on
something that I have put a lot of thought into it.