Re: Aligning Julian & Georgian calendars Re: Georgian Calendar Month Names

Re: Aligning Julian & Georgian calendars Re: Georgian Calendar Month Names

Karl Palmen

Dear Phil, Brij and Calendar People

My note was about an early calendar reform proposed in British territories while they were still on the Julian Calendar. Hence comparing the months with Julian Calendar namesakes was relevant.

The original proposal did call the months 1st month, 2nd month, etc. , but the proposer, expected existing month names might be used instead and provided a name for one month that would otherwise be unnamed (Georgy). I pointed out that the best place for Georgy would be at the start of the year, assuming the remaining months are named January to December in the normal order.

If the Gregorian calendar had already been adopted and people were used to the positions of the Gregorian months in the seasons, then the best place for Georgy would be the 3rd month between February and March and then looking back at the Roman calendar, this gave rise to another name for it.