Rainbow Octant Calendar

k.palmen@btinternet.com
Dear Walter and Calendar People

I have thought of an arithmetic variation of Walter's Octant Calendar
https://calendars.fandom.com/wiki/Octant_Calendar
which makes use of the rainbow week in my Rainbow Alphabet calendar
https://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/palmen/rainbow.htm

The Octants use rainbow weeks A-F, G-M, N-S, T-Z in both capital and small letters and are numbered within each octant. Then the octants alternate between 6 and 7 rainbow weeks and the 7th rainbow week of each 7-week octant has an equinox or solstice.

One can change the leap year rule, so instead of having the leap day (Magentaday) occur at the end of the Northward Equinox week place it at the end of every 33rd octant (4 years and 1 octant) to form a 33-year cycle also once every 400 years one can have an interval of 32 octants (4 years) to make a 400-year cycle like the truncated 33-year cycle Walter has suggested. Also this give freedom to move the Purpleday to another rainbow week.

Also Walter might prefer the octants to use rainbow weeks Z-F, G-L, M-S, T-Y so that each equinox or solstice occurs on the first week of a 7-week octant, then each such week could be designated week zero, so every octant ends with week six.

Karl

Wednesday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl et al

It occurs to me that the Balanced French Calendar can handle octants by dividing each quarter between the 15th and16th days of each second month

This is another fact that points out the versatility and flexibility of moving the complementary days of the FRC to the seasonal points Doing so allows the calendar to make many relatively simple and convenient divisions of a year Within each 90 day quarter there can be divisions of 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 15, 30, and 45 day periods, plus in the larger 91 day periods there can be periods of 7 or 13 days So there needn't be any conflict about which week to use The users can make there own choices

I think using the Balanced French Calendar without any specified weeks, and with generic month names  allows the greatest diversity possible

Walter Ziobro

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wednesday Beta April 2019

Wednesday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

WALTER:

Your dedication to the Balanced French Calendar (which, unless I err, was created by you), is admirable. You have pointed out various benefits of said calendar in your last several posts, and I can see your point. Nevertheless, I think it would interrupt the economy too much to use that calendar. In addition to giving paid leave to every employee five or six times a year, then you would have to give him two full decades vacation each year for holiday. That is a total of 25 or 26 days off a year NOT counting the Decadi, the Primidi, and the half-day on the Quintidi.

Having the Complementary Days at the end of the 360-day working year, and then giving paid leave to employees for the five or six days at the end of the year, plus a Decade of ten days during the Summer, would mean 15 or 16 days off each year, not counting the Decadi, the Primidi, and the half-day of the Quintidi, and would result in employees STILL getting more time off than with the current calendar, and would NOT be as much disruption to the economy. I think this is the only reasonable way to do it. Plus, it makes accounting a TON easier to have four quarters of 90 days each. It also allows the seasons to start on day one of each of the four months in which that is an issue, and be accurate with the Solstices and the Equinoxes as well.

Regards,
Jamison

21 Germinal CCXXVII, Judas Tree.

Walter J Ziobro <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wednesday Beta April 2019

Wednesday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

Dear Walter and Calendar People

The rainbow week is arranged so that each equinox and solstice occurs within every 13th rainbow week. At the current time, the solstices occur in the middle of the rainbow week, the northward equinox would occur early in its rainbow week and the southward equinox would occur late in the rainbow week. So delaying the start of the Balanced French Calendar year by a day or two would enable the first month of each quarter to begin on a Redday and along with the following complementary day, each quarter has exactly 13 rainbow weeks.

I prefer the octants to have a whole number of rainbow weeks (no day of octant number needed), but if you prefer, you can begin the even-numbered octants on a Greenday or Blueday in the 7th week of the quarter.

Karl

Thursday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

k.palmen@btinternet.com
Dear Walter and Calendar People

Walter has missed my point, which instead of trying to place the natural quarter days into days normally 91 days apart, place them into solar weeks such as my Rainbow Week 13 weeks apart.

The Jubilees Leap Week Calendar does not work for this, because it is a leap week calendar (which does not use a solar week) and the natural quarter days may occur almost a week away form the corresponding calendar quarter day.
https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Jubilees_Leap_Week_Calendar
A leap week calendar would require a two-week period to place each natural quarter day. I've shown this for my Week & Month Calendar.

The Octant Calendar is now at
https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Octant_Calendar

Karl

Friday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

Dear Karl

You are right The Jubilees Calendar is rather different

However the Dominical letter Calendar might be a better companion to the Rainbow Calendar Perhaps if the Balanced French Calendar had Dominical Letters there could be a correspondence to the Rainbow Calendar

Walter Ziobro

On Friday, April 12, 2019 K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Walter and Calendar People

Walter has missed my point, which instead of trying to place the natural quarter days into days normally 91 days apart, place them into solar weeks such as my Rainbow Week 13 weeks apart.

The Jubilees Leap Week Calendar does not work for this, because it is a leap week calendar (which does not use a solar week) and the natural quarter days may occur almost a week away form the corresponding calendar quarter day.
https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Jubilees_Leap_Week_Calendar
A leap week calendar would require a two-week period to place each natural quarter day. I've shown this for my Week & Month Calendar.

The Octant Calendar is now at
https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Octant_Calendar

Karl

Friday Beta April 2019

Dominical Letter Balenced French Calendar Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

k.palmen@btinternet.com
Dear Walter and Calendar people

The Dominical letters also form a solar week. If the first day of the first month were an A-day and the southward equinox never occurs later than than New Year's Day (which occurs before the first month) then the solstices and equinoxes would occur in every 13th solar week as required. This situation will last only while the southward equinox is the latest relative to average.

Karl

Friday Beta April 2019

Re: Rainbow Octant Calendar

CALENDAR PEOPLE:

My only question for WALTER is what exactly the purpose is of creating the Balenced French Republican Calendar (BFRC). The FRC as originally designed by the French Republicans already seems to serve quite well. How would the BFRC improve the situation at all? From my perspective it would reduce the utility of the calendar.

The FRC has the benefit of being 360 working days in length. This divides perfectly into 90 days each quarter. Why change that? The FRC ALSO has the benefits of having a natural "vacation week" if you will. The Sans-culottides automatically give the Nation five or six days to breathe at the end of each year. What reason is there to. change that?

Regards,
Jamison

23 Germinal CCXXVII, Horse Chestnut

[...]

sparkielee