Quarter-Moon Calendar - more thoughts

Karl Palmen

Dear Amos and Calendar People

About 19 years ago Amos or I came up with the idea of a Quarter-Moon calendar, in which the lunar month is divided into four quarters each of which could function as a lunar week.

A 19-year cycle could be formed by giving each odd-numbered year 49 quarter-moons and each even-numbered year 50-quarter moons counting from the start of the 19-year cycle.

Then we have 19 years of

49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49+50+49 = 940 quarter moons = 235 lunar months.

This could be corrected by removing 2 years from one in four or  five 19-year cycles or 8 years from about one in 18 19-year cycles.

More recently I thought that if the quarter-moon calendar were to have months, it would be more important for each month to begin at the same phase of moon than for every year to begin at the start of a month.

So every day belongs to a full lunar month of four quarter moons, but the new year may occur at the start of any of the four quarters of a month.

If so, how would the months be named?

A year would have 11 or 12 months entirely within that year. It would have either a month at the beginning or month at the end or both that is not entirely within a year.

To maintain uniqueness of dates and ease of determining order of dates any month that occurs in two years would have a different name at the start of a year than it has at the end of a year.

Here I’ll name the months fully in the year A, B, C etc.  Any month occurring in two years, I’ll call z at the end of the year and o at the start of the year and followed by the number of quarter moons it has within the year.

Let’s suppose the first new year occurs at the start of the month  then we have years:

01:    A … L z1

02: o3 A … K z3

03: o1 A … L

04:    A … L z2

05: o2 A … K z3

06: o1 A … L z1

07: o3 A … K z2

08: o2 A … L

And so on every 8 years till end of cycle.

If the cycle has 19 or 11 years, the next cycle will have the same structure.

One could name part-month z, L in a year without a full month L:

01:    A … L z1

02: o3 A … L3

03: o1 A … L

04:    A … L z2

05: o2 A … L3

06: o1 A … L z1

07: o3 A … L2

08: o2 A … L

And so on every 8 years till end of cycle.

Then part-month L would occur every year with at least two quarter moons. Seven years of the 19-year cycle would have part-month z and so month z-o could be then considered to be a leap month, while month L-o can be considered to be a completed month L.

I’m not actually suggesting that the month names to be o, A, B, C, … K, L, z, but only that these are the placeholders for the actual names used, which may even begin with a different letter.

I thought about birthdays and anniversaries. For such purposes, months L and L-o are considered equivalent and for z-o, use  L or L-o whenever there is no z-o.

If the phase of moon is unimportant, one could also count quarter moons from the new year, treating the 50th quarter-moon as the last quarter-moon of year.

I welcome more ideas about this topic.