Quarter-Moon Calendar RE: Babylonian Tournament Years

Quarter-Moon Calendar RE: Babylonian Tournament Years

Karl Palmen

Dear Amos and Calendar People

I then thought of adding 7 more stations to the Metonic cycle to make a total of 28 stations and have a leap month on every 4th station. Then all the even-numbered years of the Metonic cycle can have two stations and the odd-numbered years have one station. Then we get leap months thus:

Station 4 at end of 3rd year

Station 8 at middle of 6th year (1st  station in 6th year)

Station 12 at end of 8th year (2nd station in 8th year)

Station 16 at end of 11th year

Station 20 at middle of 14th year (1st station in 14th year)

Station 24 at end of 16th year (2nd station in 16th  year) not 17th year

Station 28 at end of 19th year.

This reminds me of the Quarter-Moon Calendar and I find that if each leap month were split into four quarter moons and one of these quarter moons were added to each station, one would get a quarter-moon calendar.

A similar idea could be applied to the “Babylonian Tournament Year Calendar” with moon-thirds, so each year has 37 moon-thirds except the 8th and 17th years of a Metonic cycle, which has 38 moon-thirds. Most moon-thirds would have 10 days, but one in six or seven would have 9 days.