Pre-Julian Solar Calendars and RE: TIDBITS: Intercalary month

Pre-Julian Solar Calendars and RE: TIDBITS: Intercalary month

Karl Palmen

Dear Irv and Calendar People

Also it referred to the Egyptian Calendar and Qumran calendar as solar calendars, when they were plain calendars with fixed years of 365 and 364 days respectively, which drift slowly with respect to the seasons. The important point was that they were not lunisolar and so pure solar, pure lunar or pure cycle.

I recall raising the issue pre-Julian solar calendar beforehand on this list, because I did not think any existed before the Julian Calendar. I also recall that a reply did suggest the existence of a pre-Julian solar calendar, but I don’t remember which calendar it was. A look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_calendars reveals a bronze age Pentecontad Calendar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecontad_calendar , which was a predecessor to the lunisolar Hebrew Calendar and also lists some Bronze age Chinese calendars.

Were these calendars really solar and if so how was a leap year determined?

Re: Pre-Julian Solar Calendars and RE: TIDBITS: Intercalary month

Mockingbird
The evidence for the pentecontad calendar is not as clear-cut as Lewy thought.  Not everyone has accepted its existence as a historical fact.

Here is how Lewy's proposal worked, as best I recall:  The year began with the barley harvest.  There followed seven periods of 50 days, followed by a variable-length period (15 or so days) until the harvest  began again.  So the year went from harvest to harvest, and did not refer directly to any astronomical phenomenon.  The use of this calendar did not preclude the use of lunar months as well.