Ogam Wheel Rules

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Ogam Wheel Rules

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People

If you look at the Ogam Wheel rules on Victor's web site via
http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html
you'll see that the rules as stated make explicit use of the Gregorian Calendar.

Without the GC the rules would only tell you which moon phase rune applies to which tree calendar date, which is what we all agree the OW can do. However, Charles asserts that the OW can also tell you when a particular tree date would occur. If there were no GC the rules as stated would be incapable of doing this. For example when would F20 occur if you didn't know from the GC when 6 April  would occur.

I recall that Charles said to me that he wouldn't have mentioned the GC in the OW rules, if he then knew it would be so contentious. I took him on his word then. But now I believe he was bluffing. I don't believe Charles could reformulate the OW rules so that they do not use the GC and also tell you when a given tree calendar date would occur.

My solstice OW calendar is just one way this could be done. However if you drop the claim that the OW can also tell you when a given tree calendar date occurs, there'd be no need include this in the OW rules.

Karl

07(15(07
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ogam Wheel Rules

Charles Moyer
> From: "Palmen, KEV (Karl)" <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: East Carolina University Calendar discussion List
> <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:42:46 -0000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Ogam Wheel Rules
>
> Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People
>
> If you look at the Ogam Wheel rules on Victor's web site via
> http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html
> you'll see that the rules as stated make explicit use of the Gregorian
> Calendar.
>
> Without the GC the rules would only tell you which moon phase rune applies to
> which tree calendar date, which is what we all agree the OW can do. However,
> Charles asserts that the OW can also tell you when a particular tree date
> would occur. If there were no GC the rules as stated would be incapable of
> doing this. For example when would F20 occur if you didn't know from the GC
> when 6 April  would occur.
>
> I recall that Charles said to me that he wouldn't have mentioned the GC in the
> OW rules, if he then knew it would be so contentious. I took him on his word
> then. But now I believe he was bluffing. I don't believe Charles could
> reformulate the OW rules so that they do not use the GC and also tell you when
> a given tree calendar date would occur.
>
> My solstice OW calendar is just one way this could be done. However if you
> drop the claim that the OW can also tell you when a given tree calendar date
> occurs, there'd be no need include this in the OW rules.

It does seem that the solution to this disagreement may be found in counting
days from solstices. They give both calendars solar orientation.

Charles
>
> Karl
>
> 07(15(07
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ogam Wheel Rules

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
In reply to this post by Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Charles and Calendar People

-----Original Message-----
From: East Carolina University Calendar discussion List
[mailto:[hidden email]]On Behalf Of Charles Moyer
Sent: 08 December 2005 12:22
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Ogam Wheel Rules


> From: "Palmen, KEV (Karl)" <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: East Carolina University Calendar discussion List
> <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:42:46 -0000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Ogam Wheel Rules
>
> Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People
>
> If you look at the Ogam Wheel rules on Victor's web site via
> http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html
> you'll see that the rules as stated make explicit use of the Gregorian
> Calendar.
>
> Without the GC the rules would only tell you which moon phase rune applies to
> which tree calendar date, which is what we all agree the OW can do. However,
> Charles asserts that the OW can also tell you when a particular tree date
> would occur. If there were no GC the rules as stated would be incapable of
> doing this. For example when would F20 occur if you didn't know from the GC
> when 6 April  would occur.
>
> I recall that Charles said to me that he wouldn't have mentioned the GC in the
> OW rules, if he then knew it would be so contentious. I took him on his word
> then. But now I believe he was bluffing. I don't believe Charles could
> reformulate the OW rules so that they do not use the GC and also tell you when
> a given tree calendar date would occur.
>
> My solstice OW calendar is just one way this could be done. However if you
> drop the claim that the OW can also tell you when a given tree calendar date
> occurs, there'd be no need include this in the OW rules.

It does seem that the solution to this disagreement may be found in counting
days from solstices. They give both calendars solar orientation.

KARL SAYS:
I do agree that the Ogam wheel tells you for example approximately how many days an eclipse occurs before or after a given solstice. What I disagree with is that it also tells you which day either of these two events occurs. It enables you to use knowledge of when the solstice occurs to work out when the eclipse would occur or vice versa.

Karl

07(15(08
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ogam Wheel Rules

Victor Engel
In reply to this post by Charles Moyer
Charles Moyer wrote:

> It does seem that the solution to this disagreement may be found in counting
> days from solstices. They give both calendars solar orientation.

So is Charles now stating that the Ogam wheel is an observational
calendar, reckoned by the solstice? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think this has been stated as a rule thus far.

Victor
Loading...