NASA Mars Calendar RE: Europan Clock and Calendar

NASA Mars Calendar RE: Europan Clock and Calendar

Karl Palmen

Dear Amos and Calendar People

The Mars Calendar Amos linked is a Gregorian calendar with some additional information, each date has a red ‘B’ followed by a 4 digit number and a blue ‘C’ followed by a different 4-digit number. Could these be a count of Mars days for the two explorers?

The numbers for January 1 are B4600 and C1567. 90 days later on April 1, I get B4688 and C1654 indicating a lapse of 88 & 87 Mars days respectively, the difference can be attributed to the different Meridians of the two explorers. Also I noticed that April 20 has no ‘B’ number, suggesting it misses a noon, midnight or some other specific time of a Martian day.

Also I see some DSN week numbers on the Mondays with week 1 starting on Monday 2 January. They could be ISO weeks.