Leap week calendars RE: 13 months of 28 days, and starting on Monday,

Leap week calendars RE: 13 months of 28 days, and starting on Monday,

Karl Palmen - UKRI STFC
Dear, Sonny, James, Vij, Irv and Other Calendar People

For a leap week calendar, I prefer 12 months of 4 or 5 weeks. Then the leap week can be added to a month that normally has 4 weeks and we can have 3-month quarters normally of 13 weeks. Irv's Symmetry454 calendar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry454 is such an example.

However as I showed in my previous note I prefer the day of month number to be replaced by a week number and day of week. This makes the week an explicit subdivision of the month. Then it is easy to find out what is the date of next Friday. For example, if it the 1st Monday of June, next Friday is 1st Friday of June. If it is 1st Saturday of June, next Friday is 2nd Friday of June.

Note for Sonny: For this to work, every week begin on the same day of week perpetually (assumed in above example to be either Sunday or Monday).

The month layout (view in fixed width font) would be like

                   JUNE
        Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
-------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Week 1 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
-------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Week 2 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
-------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Week 3 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
-------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Week 4 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
-------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+

The blank day spaces could be filled with information about the day by the calendar producer or user.

Alternative expressions of the date
2nd Friday of June include
Friday Week 2 of June
June 2nd Friday
June 2 Friday
June Week 2 Friday
06-2-5 (Monday starting week)

I think these would become more popular than
12 June or June 12 (for Monday starting week)
and especially
13 June or June 13 (for Sunday starting week)
because one wouldn't have to work out the day number of next Friday etc.
I expect the practice of counting days across the whole month would die out. The Romans didn't bother with it.

Also if dates such as June 12 were not allowed in the leap week calendar, then we could allow both
these dates to refer to Gregorian dates and
the leap week calendar to use the same old month names.

Incidentally, The Symmetry454 June (and its ISO week equivalent) begins today on the same day as Gregorian June (week 23).
This year is a leap week year in both Symmetry454 and ISO week numbering. So Sonny wouldn't have to wait very long for his leap week meeting on December 5th Wednesday, 2015 = December 30, 2015.

Wednesday in a middle of the month would always be 3rd Wednesday regardless of whether the month has 4 or 5 weeks, for Monday starting week. Because the exact middle of a 4-week month is between week 2 & 3 and Wednesday is near the start of the week than the end and the exact middle of a 5-week month is 3rd Thursday (day 18 of 35).
For Friday in the middle of the month the situation would be different: 2nd Friday in 4-week month and 3rd Friday in 5-week month.
For Thursday in the middle of month one can go either the way of Wednesday or Friday, because Thursday is in the middle of the week or just have quarterly meetings on the middle day of a 5-week month.

Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 21:34:21 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Friday the 13th

Vij,

If I'm not mistaken, you state on Calendar L that your proposed reform calendar is the ONLY one that never has the 13th of a month on a Friday.  If I am misunderstanding then I apologize.  Please check out NewEarthCalendar.com for my proposed reform calendar.  With 13 months of 28 days, and starting on Monday, there is no rotation of days on different dates and Fridays are always on the 12th of a month.  For leap years, I use the 5:40:400 rule with a leap week, preserving the 7 day cycle.

I really don't have the time to follow Calendar L extensively but your post caught my eye.

Respectfully, James Reich

Pierre Pondrom
2015/ II / 8 / Sat
year/qtr/week/day
[hidden email]
Jun. is mod(7) on Sun.

Re: Leap week calendars RE: 13 months of 28 days, and starting on Monday,

Ryan Provost-2
Speaking of leap week calendars, For my contribution for the leap week calendar, I would adopt the Symmetry454 structure and start the new year on the Monday since BXXXX.0 (New Besselian year) (in which it’s on or around January 1 when the mean longitude of the Sun , including the effect of aberration and measured from the mean equinox of the date, is exactly 280 degrees). I would also follow the solar calendar that starts the new year on the same period but uses the 30-31-30 pattern, but for the 12th month, it’ll be 31 days instead of 30 and the first or sixth month will have 31 days for solar leap years. I will name the months by the Greek Alphabet, and use local civil time and UTC for the date system.