Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Christoph Päper-2
Dear calendarists!

What is a good, i.e. simple yet accurate, rule to determine when to drop a 6-day week from a 366-day or 61-week calendar? (Alternatively, consider it a 360-day, 60-week calendar with a very frequent 6-day leap week.)

The Julian precision is rather simple to match:

  365.25     = 365 + 1/4 = 366 - 3/4 =
  364 + 1.25 = 7*52 + 7*5/28 = 7 * (52 + 5/28) =
  360 + 5.25 = 6*60 + 6*7/8 = 6 * (60 + 7/8) = 6 * (61 - 1/8)

  -> Drop one week every eighth year.

The Gregorian precision (i.e. the targeted upper bound) is, of course, more complicated, but the resulting rule is actually simpler than the original one:

  365.2425     = 365 + 97/400 = 365 + 1/4 - 1/100 + 1/400 =
  364 + 1.2425 = 7*52 + 7*71/400 = 7 * (52 + 71/400)
  360 + 5.2425 = 6*60 + 6*699/800 = 6 * (60 + 7/8 - 1/800) = 6 * (61 - 1/8 - 1/800)

  -> Drop one week every eighth year except when the year number is divisible by 800.

The Dee precision seems not worth it unless I'm missing a simple rule for this:

  365._24     = 365 + 8/33
  360 + 5._24 = 6*60 + 6*173/198 = 6 * (60 + 173/198) = 6 * (61 - 25/198)

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Karl Palmen
Dear Christoph and Calendar People

The Gregorian 6 * (61 - 1/8 - 1/800) is a high jitter rule,
but with less jitter than 5:40:400 = 7 * (52 + 1/5 - 1/40 + 1/400).

6 * (61 - 25/198) can be a minimum jitter rule and as such, its cycle has structural complexity of at least 3, because 198 is not one different from a multiple of 25.

In a minimum jitter rule, the exceptional years (with one week less) occur once every 7 or 8 years.

Complexity 1:
6 * (61 - 1/8) = 365.25

Complexity 2:
6 * (61 - 2/15) = 365.2
6 * (61 - 3/23) = 365.217...
6 * (61 - 11/87) = 365.2414...
6 * (61 - 12/95) = 365.2421...
6 * (61 - 13/103) = 365.2427...

This suggests use of a 95-year cycle with 12 exceptional years, which occur 8 years apart within each 95-year cycle, but 7 years apart between 95-year cycles. Anything else would be more complicated, more jittery or less accurate.

I can see that 33-year cycle's 25/198 would arise by mixing the 12/95 with the 13/103 equally and so has complexity 3.

  365._24     = 365 + 8/33
  360 + 5._24 = 6*60 + 6*173/198 = 6 * (60 + 173/198) = 6 * (61 - 25/198)

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Karl Palmen

Dear Irv sand Calendar People

I have suggested the 95-year cycle of 12 short years, which is listed in Irv attachment as the first brown cycle. It has a mean year of about  365.2421 days.

The short years form a sequence as simple as the 33-year cycle of 8 leap years and can defined symmetrically (in a Helios cycle) as the

4th, 12th, 20th, 28th, 36th, 44th, 52nd, 60th, 68th, 76th, 84th & 92nd  years of the 95-year cycle. Then the 1st year has an average start. All these numbers are divisible by 4, but not by 8.

The only other cycles listed in the attachment with equal simplicity are

the 103-year cycle of 13 short years (mean year 365.24272 days) and

the 87-year cycle of 11 short years (mean year 365.24138 days).

Both these have a symmetrical cycle with the same short years, except that the 103-year cycle additionally has the 100th year short and the 87-year cycle does not of course have the 92nd year short.

At the end of the attachment, Irv listed various cycles implemented as simple cycles not necessarily spread as smoothly as possible and so may have higher jitter. However in the case of the 87-year, 95-year & 103-year cycle, they are spread as smoothly as possible, so do not have higher jitter. This arises because the interval (of 7) between the cycles is just 1 different from the interval (of 8) within the cycle.

I have thought of a way of extending my idea of structural complexity to some cycles where the two types of year are not spread as smoothly as possible. Then all of Irv’s simple cycles have complexity 2. The 128-year cycle formed by dropping a leap year one every 128 years also has complexity 2. The Gregorian 400-year cycle has complexity 3 and the Revised Julian 900-year cycle has complexity 4. The ISO leap week cycle does not have a value for this complexity, because it has 3 interval lengths.

For “The Julian precision is rather simple to match...” , I’d say  “The Julian mean year is rather simple to match...”.

http://www.sym454.org/leap/

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karll

What is the complexity level of a leap year cycle that has 3 33 year cycles plus 1 29 year cycle, for a total of 128 years?

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://www.sym454.org/leap/

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Dear Walter  and Calendar People

The 128-year cycle as described has complexity 3.

0/1 [1] ¼ [2] 8/33 [3] 31/128. Each pair of consecutive fractions listed here has their Ford circles touching and this a shortest such path.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_circle

I’ve found an algorithm to calculate the complexity of a cycle. The idea of the intervals cycles of interval cycles (2017-05-19) gave rise to it.

Take the cycle as the number of long years divided by the number of years:

31/128

If this fraction is greater than ½, subtract it from 1 and then use that fraction.

31/128

Then invert the fraction an take the fractional part of the result

128/31 -> 4/31

This is one step or iteration.

Repeat till one gets an integer after the inversion.

31/128 -> 4/31 -> ¾ (¼) -> 4. Three steps, therefore the complexity is three.

Here are some other examples:

8/33 -> 1/8 -> 8. The 33-year cycle has complexity 2.

97/400 -> 12/97 -> 1/12 -> 12. The 400-year cycle formed from 12 33-year cycles and one Olympiad has complexity 3.

7/19 -> 5/7 (2/7) -> ½ -> 2. The Metonic leap month cycle has complexity 3.

123/334 -> 88/123 (35/123) -> 18/35 (17/35) -> 1/17 -> 17.  The 334-year leap month cycle has complexity 4.

11/62 -> 7/11 (4/11) -> ¾ (¼) -> 4. The 62-year leap week cycle has complexity 3.

52/293 -> 33/52 (19/52) -> 14/19 (5/19) -> 4/5 (1/5) -> 5. The 293-year leap week cycle has complexity 4.

71/400 -> 45/71 (26/71) -> 19/26 (7/26) -> 5/7 (2/7) -> ½ -> 2. The 400-year leap week cycle has complexity 5.

83/95 (12/95) -> 11/12 (1/12) -> 12.  The 95-year cycle 6-day week cycle has complexity 2.

This method is the same as counting the steps of the continued fraction, except for the subtraction from 1 if greater than a half.  I then realise, it would be equivalent to the continued fraction method, but with rounding to nearest integer instead of rounding down, except that the sign is ignored.

The final integer is equal to the number of parts of the cycles, which as cycles have complexity 1 less. For example the 400-year cycle has 12 33-year cycles one of which is extended by an Olympiad and  the 334-year cycle has 17 Metonic cycles one of which is truncated by an Octaeteris.

http://www.sym454.org/leap/

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl

I thank you for that information I am becoming more intrigued by this cycle. It appears to be the rule based cycle that most nearly follows the astronomical cycles of the Iranian and solar Chinese calendars

http://www.sym454.org/leap/

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Karl Palmen

Dear Walter and Calendar People

The rule-based Iranian calendar does not have its leap years spread as smoothly as possible. It has 2820 years of which 683 are leap years.

If the leap years were spread as smoothly as possible, we’d get

683/2820 -> 88/683 -> 67/88 (21/88) -> 4/21 -> ¼ -> 4. And so it would have complexity 5.

The actual cycle consists of 21 128-year cycles as described followed by 4 33-year cycles. The interval cycle of the interval cycle thus has 21 (8,8,8,7)s followed by one (8,8,8,8) and so the interval cycle of this is 20 fours and 1 eight, which has complexity 1 in my extended definition of complexity and so the actual 2820-year cycle has a complexity of 4 in my extended definition, one less than the 5 that would occur is the leap years were spread as smoothly as possible and one more than the 128-year cycle it contains.

http://www.sym454.org/leap/

Re: Leap rule for 366-day year with 6-day week

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl

That is the algorithm proposed by Ahmad Birashk It differs from the 33-33-33-29 cycle of 128 years by having a 132 year cycle every 22nd cycle Does that 132 year cycle make a significant difference in the long run?