Is Sunday a Weekday?

This note is not so much about calendars, but about the use of the English language concerning calendars.

I've seen the word 'weekday' used quite a lot to mean which one of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, yet the dictionary definition
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/weekday is different and means any day that does not occur in a weekend.

So the answer to the subject question is "No, provided Sunday occurs in a weekend.", unlike the usage I have seen. I've used 'day of week' for this definition for which the answer is yes (Sunday is a day of week.).

However, I don't find 'day of week' in Wiktionary nor 'day of the week', but do find 'any day of the week'
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/any_day_of_the_week and a category for 'Days of the week'
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:en:Days_of_the_week

Thinking about this, I think 'weekday' is a bad name for a day not belonging to the weekend 'workday' or 'business day' would be better, than 'weekday'. 'weekday' would then be available as a shorter form of 'day of the week'. Unfortunately it is not so, so 'weekday' cannot be used for this purpose.

In my Week & Month Calendar page
https://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/palmen/wkmth.htm
I use 'day of week'. 'day of month number' and 'week of month' as terms in describing the calendar.

Karl

Thursday Alpha April 2019

PS: I read through this note again and corrected a couple of errors before sending it.

Re: Is Sunday a Weekday?

Jamison Painter
Whether Sunday is a week day will depend on where you live. In the US and parts of Canada, it is the second day of the weekend, but the first day of the week. However, because people do not generally work on that day, it is not regarded as a week day.

In Latin America and Europe, Sunday is the last day of the weekend, and the seventh day of the week. However, the work week is Monday-Friday, so it is not regarded as a weekday.

In Israel, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. Jews worship on the seventh day of the week, Saturday, known as Shabbat. The day starts at sunset, and goes until sunset the following day, unlike the Christian day, which starts at midnight. Days on the Muslim calendar also start at sunset. Sunday through Thursday are weekdays, so Sunday, which is the first day of the week, is regarded as a week day. It should be noted that this was how the seven day week was initially structured. Only the arrival of Christianity changed that. Sunday was declared by Constantine to be the day of worship. This was a compromise between Christians, who worshipped on the Jewish Sabbath, and followers of Mithras, who worshipped on Sunday. This also enabled the Church to distinguish itself from its mother, the Jewish Faith. Christians ALSO believed that Christ was resurrected on a Sunday, giving them yet another reason to go along. It should be noted that since the Reformation, there are some Sabbatarian groups that reject Sunday worship, and worship on the Jewish Sabbath. The Seventh Day Adventists and the Seventh Day Baptists are the largest of these groups.

In Muslim countries the weekend is usually Thursday and Friday. Muslims believe that Adam was created on a Friday. They commemorate that by worshipping on Friday as their principle day. Saturday through Wednesday are the work days, so Sunday is a week day. A few Muslim countries have Friday and Saturday as the weekend, worshipping on Friday, and resting on Saturday. Sunday through Thursday are work days, making Sunday a week day.

So that about wraps it up. It should be noted that nations who use the GC, or variants of it (like Japan; China, Taiwan, ROC; and the DPRK (North Korea), generally follow European practice and start the week on Monday, the workweek being Monday through Friday, and Sunday the seventh day of the week, the last day of the week, and not a week day.

Regards,
Jamison

15 Germinal CCXXVII, Bee.

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

Karl, Calendar experts, sirs:
>So the answer to the subject question is "No, provided Sunday occurs in a weekend.", unlike the usage I have seen. I've used 'day of week' for this definition for which the answer is yes (Sunday is a day of week.).
YES, Sunday is a part of the week; as has always been talked: SIX(6) days of Work and God allowed Rest on the seventh (7) Day, to complete the week.
It is easy to know which day of the Year falls on Sunday; on count of days from year start & dividing by SEVEN(7) to know week days - as: Sunday (00/07), Monday (01), Tuesday (02), Wednesday (03), Thursday (04), Friday (05) and Saturday (06). In Muslim populated countries, however, Sunday & Friday get interchanged for count of Weeks in the Year! This has remained my thinking ever since I entered my tryst with calendars.
Regards,
Flt Lt Brij Bhushan VIJ (Retd.), IAF ✈️
Thursday, 2019 April 04H04:59 (decimal)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2019, at 03:40, K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Calendar People

[...]

Dear Jamison and Calendar People

So Jamison does not think Sunday is a weekday, because it is a day of the week, as some people imply by their usage of the word weekday.

Another question is "Is April 3, 2019 a weekday?". April 3, 2019 is not a day of the week.

Karl

Friday Alpha April 2019
[...]

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass. Its what I get if I forget and hit "Reply all" as opposed to typing in the first letters of the LISTSERV's address.

Regards,
Jamison

16 Germinal CCXXVII, Lettuce.

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Jamison

Please don't send E-mails to both me and the list.

From : [hidden email]
Date : 04/04/2019 - 12:09 (BST)
To : [hidden email], [hidden email]

[...]

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

Dear Jamison, Walter and Calendar People

Use "reply" instead of "reply all" or doesn't "reply" send to the list?

From : [hidden email]
Date : 04/04/2019 - 12:09 (BST)
To : [hidden email], [hidden email]

[...]

Dear Calendar People

From : [hidden email]
Date : 04/04/2019 - 12:09 (BST)
To : [hidden email], [hidden email]

[...]

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

Duplicate Emails Re: Is Sunday a Weekday?

k.palmen@btinternet.com
Dear Jamison, Walter, Rick and Calendar People

When I joined the list on my home E-mail address, I chose to have the E-mail address hidden. This seems to be a consequence of that. I think its a bug of the E-mail list system.

Karl

Saturday Alpha April 2019

From : [hidden email]
Date : 04/04/2019 - 12:09 (BST)
To : [hidden email], [hidden email]

[...]

K PALMEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Calendar People

[...]

Re: Duplicate Emails Re: Is Sunday a Weekday?

Jamison Painter
KARL:

Understood. Now I simply hit reply all and then remove your address from the Sending line.

Regards,
Jamison

17Germinal CCXXVII, Larch.

From : [hidden email]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]