Hebrew Symmetrical Cycle (3-)3-2-3-3-2-3 RE: 3-3-2-3-3-3-2

Hebrew Symmetrical Cycle (3-)3-2-3-3-2-3 RE: 3-3-2-3-3-3-2

Karl Palmen

Dear Irv, Aristeo and Calendar People

I’ve read more about Irv’s link and find that cycle

K=2, mm=233: 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 16, 19 , was proposed by ‘Sages’ (Chachamim). Its leap years all occur one year later than in the symmetrical Metonic cycle, which has leap years at (2, 7, 10, 13, 15, 18). If the year numbering were postponed from Tishri to the following Nisan, the leap years would occur a in years numbered one less and so form the symmetrical cycle. A consequence of this is that Nisan of the first year of the 19-year cycle has the average Northward equinox time (measured relative to its molad). Also this average equinox time was reckoned to be zero relative to the molad of Nisan.