Full adoption of Metric System RE: Source

Full adoption of Metric System RE: Source

Karl Palmen

Dear Phil & Calendar People

If you visit the UK and travel on its roads, you’ll find that the source is incorrect. The road signs use miles and miles per hour, although fuel is sold per litre. Therefore the UK has not fully adopted the Metric system.

Re: Full adoption of Metric System RE: Source

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Karl and Calendar List

If a mile were redifined as 1600 meters you wouldn't have to change any current road signs of 200 miles or less That would save some conversion costs

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Phil & Calendar People

If you visit the UK and travel on its roads, you’ll find that the source is incorrect. The road signs use miles and miles per hour, although fuel is sold per litre. Therefore the UK has not fully adopted the Metric system.

Re: Full adoption of Metric System RE: Source

Michael Ossipoff
Because the metric system is so widely-adopted, I don't suggest changing it, at this late point.

But I'd like to say that, though its decimal system is a great idea, it might have made a lot more sense to base it on an average measurement of the human body (cubit, fathom, foot, pace, etc.), instead of on a ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the pole.

A lot of people, hunters, and maybe many people in other sports too specify distances in yards. Maybe the yard had is origin as half of a fathom, the distance that outstreached arms can span (standardized as 6 feet).

In fact, the fact that a meter is only about 3.37 inches more than a yard could, for that reason, make meters easier to accept in English-system countries.

Of course, if the English-system countries are going to go decimal, then they should adopt the widely-used metric system, based on an 18th-century estimate of the distance from equator to pole.

But, if we could choose our own measure-basis for a decimal system, the foot would probably be best, because of its use-status.

Decimal feet.

Michael Ossipoff