Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

The Full Moon Cycle is on the way to being deleted from Wikipedia, because no one outside of this list appears to have used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_moon_cycle

It is even thought to be a hoax.

What surprises me is that this cycle has never been named, before we discussed it.

Perhaps it was named before Christian times, but knowledge of it has been destroyed.

Perhaps it is named in some other languages today.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Michael H Deckers
    On 2017-07-14 12:03, Karl Palmen wrote:

> The Full Moon Cycle is on the way to being deleted from Wikipedia,
> because no one outside of this list appears to have used it.

    And rightfully so -- the period of full moons
    is called synodic month at least since the
    times of Ptolemy. The phenomenon you apparently
    seem to allude to is usually called super moon
    in astronomy. Calling it "Full Moon" would be
    useless and utterly confusing.

    Michael Deckers.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Victor Engel
Dear Michael,

It is not a full moon nor a super moon. It is a CYCLE of full moons -- a complete cycle goes from one super moon to the next super moon. Maybe it should be called a super moon cycle.

Victor

   Michael Deckers.

Sidereo-Synodic Moon Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Michael, Karl sirs:
Not being an astronomer, I may not comment on its utility BUT my observation has been that THIS cycle has a relation with the period "Full Moon" co-including with both Sidereal Moon & Synodic Moon. Karl & the list may not do well not to 'totally remove' inputs of details from Wikipedia as announced. However, its further build up may be suspending/postponed, is my view.
My findings on Mean Year=(365+31/128)= 365.2421875 days; and Mean Lunation in 448-years/5541 moons (with addition of 0.49287326 day) extending ONE Tithi has the potential to get Mean Lunation= 29d12h44m2s.877504 SELF consumes in 26842-years!
Regards,
Ex-Flt Lt Brij Bhushan VIJ (Retd.), Author
Brij-Gregorian Modified Calendar
Sunday (00/07),2017July16H10:73(decimal)

Sent from my iPhone

   On 2017-07-16 17:17, Victor Engel wrote about the coinage "Full Moon
Cycle":

> It is not a full moon nor a super moon. It is a CYCLE of full moons --
> a complete cycle goes from one super moon to the next super moon.
> Maybe it should be called a super moon cycle.

    Or just a "red herring"  -- it need not be
    red nor is it necessarily a herring. Or is it?

    Michael Deckers.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

It is a cycle of the age and apparent size of the full moon.

Here is an early note I sent to the list about what had by then been called “full moon cycle”. It was some time before the word “supermoon” emerged.

The note shows how the age of the full moon (time since previous new moon) changes in a full moon cycle.

On 12 August this year I sent to CALNDR-L :

Dear Victor and Calendar People

It's the cycle in which the lunar perigee move backwards through the phases of the moon.

I call it the full moon cycle, because it its the cycle in which the full moon oscillates in apparent size and in time of the lunation (age).

The cycle follows the sequence

Full moon big

Full moon early

Full moon small

Full moon late

I don't know of any other name for this cycle.

Does any other calendar person know of a name for this cycle?

The following shows the oscillation in the moon age:

Lunar Calendars and Eclipse Finder 3.54

http://hermetic.magnet.ch/lcef/lcef.htm

Search for next full moon.

2002-03-28 CE 18:24 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [27] 14 days, 16 hrs, 22 mins (49.4%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-04-27 CE 02:59 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [28] 14 days, 7 hrs, 38 mins (48.3%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-05-26 CE 11:51 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [29] 14 days, 1 hr, 6 mins (47.5%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-06-24 CE 21:42 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [30] 13 days, 21 hrs, 55 mins (47.3%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-07-24 CE 09:06 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [31] 13 days, 22 hrs, 41 mins (47.5%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-08-22 CE 22:29 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [32] 14 days, 3 hrs, 14 mins (48.2%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-09-21 CE 13:59 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [33] 14 days, 10 hrs, 49 mins (49.3%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-10-21 CE 07:19 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [34] 14 days, 20 hrs, 2 mins (50.5%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-11-20 CE 01:33 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [35] 15 days, 4 hrs, 59 mins (51.6%).

Search for next full moon.

2002-12-19 CE 19:10 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [36] 15 days, 11 hrs, 35 mins (52.4%).

Search for next full moon.

2003-01-18 CE 10:47 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [37] 15 days, 14 hrs, 24 mins (52.7%).

Search for next full moon.

2003-02-16 CE 23:51 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [38] 15 days, 13 hrs, 2 mins (52.4%).

Search for next full moon.

2003-03-18 CE 10:34 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [39] 15 days, 7 hrs, 59 mins (51.6%).

Search for next full moon.

2003-04-16 CE 19:35 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [40] 15 days, 0 hrs, 16 mins (50.5%).

Search for next full moon.

2003-05-16 CE 03:35 (local = GMT)

lunat. and age = [41] 14 days, 15 hrs, 21 mins (49.3%).

Karl Palmen

05(06(03 till noon

I think Tom Peters added the Wikipedia page to demonstrate his method of using the full moon cycle to reckon full and new moon times to the nearest 1/49 day.

I noticed that the Chinese Wikipedia has a page about the full moon cycle.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%BB%BF%E6%9C%88%E5%91%A8%E6%9C%9F

It is not a full moon nor a super moon. It is a CYCLE of full moons -- a complete cycle goes from one super moon to the next super moon. Maybe it should be called a super moon cycle.

Victor

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Christoph Päper-2
Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> hat am 14. Juli 2017 um 14:03 geschrieben:

> The Full Moon Cycle is on the way to being deleted from Wikipedia, because no one outside of this list appears to have used it.

You are always welcome to store original research regarding calendars and relevant astronomy at the calendar wiki. <https://calendars.wikia.com/>

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Maybe it would help to include links such as this one, which also mentions the same period and includes graphs (but doesn't name the period).

Victor

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Calendar People

The Full Moon Cycle is on the way to being deleted from Wikipedia, because no one outside of this list appears to have used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_moon_cycle

It is even thought to be a hoax.

What surprises me is that this cycle has never been named, before we discussed it.

Perhaps it was named before Christian times, but knowledge of it has been destroyed.

Perhaps it is named in some other languages today.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

clifford emeric

To All,

It may also help to include a link to Irv Bromberg's work on the lunar cycle at: http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/lunar/index.htm. That 14 lunation cycle in context of the larger 111 lunation cycle is very important indeed.

This shows the importance of the 14 month cycle in general terms. The "Full Moon Age Variability Cycle" is only one aspect of the 14 month cycle, which is also applicable generally to the lunar cycle. With this background material the Full Moon Age Variability Cycle using New Moon as lunar cycle base, is then given as an example of varying age of the Full Moon as this also related to distance from the earth and hence size of the lunar orb. Possibly this should be renamed the "Full Moon Age Variability Cycle" to highlight the applicability of the generalized 14 month cycle, as this manifests in change of the size of the Full Moon.

The Full Moon cycle implies Full Moon as lunar cycle base, when in fact New Moon is cycle base with moon age measured relative to New Moon. and hence the term "AGE" should be included in the name for clarity. The Mayans often also used Full Moon as lunar cycle base, measuring Last Appearance, New Moon and First Appearance moon ages relative to Full Moon cycle base, and it is apparent the Mayans appreciated the importance of the 14 month cycle in their Lunar Series.

Deleting this cycle from the knowledge would be an asinine act of indifference, and an overt disregard for its importance.  By first introducing the 14 month cycle in general terms as done by Irv's numerical analysis, and then naming one aspect of this 14 month cycle as the "Full Moon Age" cycle should shut down (silence) the critics forever.

There are too many people poking at published material who are not qualified to have a voice in voting for deletion of material. This is one of those cases. By expanding the work slightly those critics will be silenced.

Cheers Cliff

On 7/17/2017 5:01 AM, Karl Palmen wrote:

Dear Calendar People

It is a cycle of the age and apparent size of the full moon.

Here is an early note I sent to the list about what had by then been called “full moon cycle”. It was some time before the word “supermoon” emerged.

The note shows how the age of the full moon (time since previous new moon) changes in a full moon cycle.

On 12 August this year I sent to CALNDR-L :

Dear Victor and Calendar People

Tom Peters-6

Op 17 jul. 2017, om 18:32 heeft clifford emeric <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

To All,

It may also help to include a link to Irv Bromberg's work on the lunar cycle at: http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/lunar/index.htm. That 14 lunation cycle in context of the larger 111 lunation cycle is very important indeed.

@Christoph, @Victor, @Clifford:
feel free to edit the Wikipedia article and enhance it with your suggestions.

The contention with the article is mainly about the recipe to use the cycle to predict New and Full Moons, which is considered original research forbidden by Wikipedia.  That for a large part has been written by me.  I have put an extensive comment in the discussion, but I think it is better I do not touch it, and let others show their interest.

--
Tom Peters

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Dear Tom and Calendar People

I was curious about the 111 lunation cycle. When reading Irv’s site linked the 111-month cycle arose from the study of the Periodic Lunar Cycle Variations Relative to a Fixed Lunar Calendar. It is stated to be the precession time of the moon’s perigee with respect to the earth’s perihelion. It is just a little less than 8 full moon cycles and just a little less than 9 anomalistic years and that little less measured in full moon cycles and anomalistic years respectively would be exactly equal.

The fact that the Saros is very close to 16 full moon cycles causes eclipses one Saros apart to have around the same maximum duration of totality.

It may also help to include a link to Irv Bromberg's work on the lunar cycle at: http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/lunar/index.htm. That 14 lunation cycle in context of the larger 111 lunation cycle is very important indeed.

This shows the importance of the 14 month cycle in general terms. The "Full Moon Age Variability Cycle" is only one aspect of the 14 month cycle, which is also applicable generally to the lunar cycle. With this background material the Full Moon Age Variability Cycle using New Moon as lunar cycle base, is then given as an example of varying age of the Full Moon as this also related to distance from the earth and hence size of the lunar orb. Possibly this should be renamed the "Full Moon Age Variability Cycle" to highlight the applicability of the generalized 14 month cycle, as this manifests in change of the size of the Full Moon.

The Full Moon cycle implies Full Moon as lunar cycle base, when in fact New Moon is cycle base with moon age measured relative to New Moon. and hence the term "AGE" should be included in the name for clarity. The Mayans often also used Full Moon as lunar cycle base, measuring Last Appearance, New Moon and First Appearance moon ages relative to Full Moon cycle base, and it is apparent the Mayans appreciated the importance of the 14 month cycle in their Lunar Series.

Deleting this cycle from the knowledge would be an asinine act of indifference, and an overt disregard for its importance.  By first introducing the 14 month cycle in general terms as done by Irv's numerical analysis, and then naming one aspect of this 14 month cycle as the "Full Moon Age" cycle should shut down (silence) the critics forever.

There are too many people poking at published material who are not qualified to have a voice in voting for deletion of material. This is one of those cases. By expanding the work slightly those critics will be silenced.

Cheers Cliff

On 7/17/2017 5:01 AM, Karl Palmen wrote:

Dear Calendar People

It is a cycle of the age and apparent size of the full moon.

Here is an early note I sent to the list about what had by then been called “full moon cycle”. It was some time before the word “supermoon” emerged.

The note shows how the age of the full moon (time since previous new moon) changes in a full moon cycle.

On 12 August this year I sent to CALNDR-L :

Dear Victor and Calendar People

The Wikipedia Full Moon Cycle article has been removed and redirects to the Supermoon article.

The section on frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon#Frequency defines the length of the full moon cycle without naming it. No longer is there any mention of the role of the full moon cycle in the age of the full moon.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Karl Palmen

Dear  Calendar People

The full moon cycle article survives in the Chinese language Wikipedia at

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%BB%BF%E6%9C%88%E5%91%A8%E6%9C%9F .

I wonder whether it contains any reference to the use of this cycle in Chinese astronomy or whether it is merely a translation of the article that existed in the English Wikipedia. I see mention of Meeus there. I also see the mean month of my Yerm calendar 29 + 451/850 days.

The Wikipedia Full Moon Cycle article has been removed and redirects to the Supermoon article.

The section on frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon#Frequency defines the length of the full moon cycle without naming it. No longer is there any mention of the role of the full moon cycle in the age of the full moon.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Victor Engel
Dear Karl and Calendar People,

The Google translation back into English is interesting, e.g.,  "The Saroos cycle is 223 syphilis months"

Victor

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Karl Palmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Victor for your reply.

A look at the history shows just one large addition, which was made on 2010-01-11. It may be new Chinese material or just a translation of something added to the English language page.

Karl

Irv Bromberg
Karl, do you (or anybody else here) have the full text of what used to be on the Wikipedia Full Moon Cycle page? If so then you could create a new page under a slightly different title, and reinstate it.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Tom Peters-6
Irv &others,
I advise against that. The page was removed following regular Wikipedia procedures. They have a point that the subject is not really known outside the article c.q that it is original research. Putting it back in Wikipedia will annoy quite a few people.
Tom

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail. Excuseer mijn beknoptheid.

Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Karl Palmen

Dear Irv, Tom, Victor and Calendar People

I think some of the details could be inserted into the Supermoon page, but not the name ‘full moon cycle’ nor  Tom’s calculation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon

The original text is still accessible in Wikipedia.

Go to the Full Moon Page, which redirects to Supermoon, click on the “Full Moon Cycle” in the redirect message, then view history. This leads to

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Full_moon_cycle&action=history

I sent a note about the Full Moon Cycle to this list on 2002-09-23, some of which went into the Wikipedia article.

Sidereo-Synodic Moon Re: Full Moon Cycle to be removed from Wikipedia

Brij Bhushan metric VIJ
Karl, all: sirs:
> sent a note about the Full Moon Cycle to >this list on 2002-09-23, some of which >went into the Wikipedia article.
I recall some discussion on this- FUMOCY cycle - several years ago and pointed it had some relation with both Synodic Moon & Sideral Moon or perhaps alignment with eclipses. During my hand done calculations, I indirectly cane into discussion with Karl or perhaps with Derek Winder but remained unpublished. True, this period works to 411.875 Days [13.94435451159507 Synodic Moons].
I may not have access to computer & or internet while on the move after demise of my late wife SNEH VIJ. May be I remain inactive, occasionally going to cyber caffe to halve any important mail, since my phone too shall be left here.
Regards,
Ex-FltLt Brij Bhushan Vij (Retd)
Wednesday, 2017 November 08H09:42 (decimal)

Sent from my iPhone