Caveat of OW Rules

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People

Charles sent to CALNDR-L some time a caveat to apply to the Ogam Wheel Rules at
http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html

I've come up with my own caveat:

The Gregorian dates on the Ogam Wheel are approximate. This is because the tree calendar has its own leap days on different days to the Gregorian calendar. The leap day rule of the tree calendar is not known. However, any leap day rule will work for the Ogam wheel provided that it ensures that the solstices occur on or very close to their allotted tree calendar dates (of Oak 12 and Elder 27).

Exactly one of the following actions must be taken when moving the Ogam wheel over a leap day,
(1) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the leap day.
(2) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the day after a leap day.
If the day after the leap day normally has a uruz rune sacrificed, then (3) the sacrificed rune is saved and allocated to the leap day.
Each of these actions ensures that no leap day changes which moon phase rune occurs on which tree calendar date.

The 19-year cycle is accurate only for a few hundred years. It can be corrected by skipping 8 golden numbers in the 19-year cycle about once ever 3 or 4 hundred years. The Ogam wheel will also work for tree calendar dates based on the Julian calendar, but the 19-year cycle needs to be corrected differently and so a different golden number would normally apply to each year.

Re: Caveat of OW Rules

Brij Bhushan Vij

Karl, sir:

>>The 19-year cycle is accurate only for a few hundred years. It can be corrected by skipping >8 golden numbers in the 19-year cycle about once ever 3 or 4 hundred years. The Ogam >wheel will also work for tree calendar dates based on the Julian calendar, but the 19-year >cycle needs to be corrected differently and so a different golden number would normally >apply to each year.

I recall one of my earlier posts that 19-yr cycle could profitably be used with 896-year cycle as:  TWO cycle of [23*19+11]=448*2 (896-years); each 19-year cycle 5*47 lunation using *ratio Tithi 138W/965* lead towards 'zero epact'. 448-years=163628.500972062 days=5540.9835 lunation. Mean Year =163628/448=365.24107..7 d; Mean Lunation=163628/5541 =29.5304096 733442 d.

However, using 896-yr/159 LWks give Mean Year =7*(52+159/896)=365.2421875 days; against current values for Year=365.242189669781 d & Lunation=29.5305881 or29d 12h 44m 2s.81184 (29d 12h.73md 41sd.144) that I use for calculations.
Regards,

Brij Bhushan Vij
(Wednesday - Kali5106-W34-03)/D-341: (Thursday) 2005 Dec 08H1421 (decimal) IST                          Aa Nau Bhadra Kritvo Yantu Vishwatah -Rg Veda
Jan:31; Feb:29; Mar:31; Apr:30; May:31; Jun:30
Jul:30; Aug:31; Sep:30; Oct:31; Nov:30; Dec:30
(365th day of Year is World Day)
******As per Kali V-GRhymeCalendar******
Telephone: +91-11-25590335

From:  "Palmen, KEV (Karl)" <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]
Subject:  Caveat of OW Rules
Date:  Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:43:48 -0000

>Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People
>
>Charles sent to CALNDR-L some time a caveat to apply to the Ogam Wheel Rules at
>http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html
>
>I've come up with my own caveat:
>

>The Gregorian dates on the Ogam Wheel are approximate. This is because the tree calendar has its own leap days on different days to the Gregorian calendar. The leap day rule of the tree calendar is not known. However, any leap day rule will work for the Ogam wheel provided that it ensures that the solstices occur on or very close to their allotted tree calendar dates (of Oak 12 and Elder 27).
>
>Exactly one of the following actions must be taken when moving the Ogam wheel over a leap day,
>(1) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the leap day.
>(2) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the day after a leap day.
>If the day after the leap day normally has a uruz rune sacrificed, then (3) the sacrificed rune is saved and allocated to the leap day.
>Each of these actions ensures that no leap day changes which moon phase rune occurs on which tree calendar date.
>
>The 19-year cycle is accurate only for a few hundred years. It can be corrected by skipping 8 golden numbers in the 19-year cycle about once ever 3 or 4 hundred years. The Ogam wheel will also work for tree calendar dates based on the Julian calendar, but the 19-year cycle needs to be corrected differently and so a different golden number would normally apply to each year.
>

>Karl
>
>07(15(07

Re: Caveat of OW Rules

Charles Moyer
On first examination of this statement, I can agree with everything I read
here.  Considering all this what conclusions would Karl come to concerning
the Metonic Cycle? How would Meton have best illustrated the cycle had He
had an Ogamn Wheel to do so?

Charles

> From: "Palmen, KEV (Karl)" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:43:48 -0000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Caveat of OW Rules
>
> Dear Charles, Victor and Calendar People
>
> Charles sent to CALNDR-L some time a caveat to apply to the Ogam Wheel Rules
> at
> http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html
>
> I've come up with my own caveat:
>

> The Gregorian dates on the Ogam Wheel are approximate. This is because the
> tree calendar has its own leap days on different days to the Gregorian
> calendar. The leap day rule of the tree calendar is not known. However, any
> leap day rule will work for the Ogam wheel provided that it ensures that the
> solstices occur on or very close to their allotted tree calendar dates (of Oak
> 12 and Elder 27).
>
> Exactly one of the following actions must be taken when moving the Ogam wheel
> over a leap day,
> (1) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the leap day.
> (2) The Ogam wheel is not moved on the day after a leap day.
> If the day after the leap day normally has a uruz rune sacrificed, then (3)
> the sacrificed rune is saved and allocated to the leap day.
> Each of these actions ensures that no leap day changes which moon phase rune
> occurs on which tree calendar date.
>
> The 19-year cycle is accurate only for a few hundred years. It can be
> corrected by skipping 8 golden numbers in the 19-year cycle about once ever 3
> or 4 hundred years. The Ogam wheel will also work for tree calendar dates
> based on the Julian calendar, but the 19-year cycle needs to be corrected
> differently and so a different golden number would normally apply to each
> year.
>

> Karl
>
> 07(15(07

Re: Caveat of OW Rules

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Charles and Calendar People

Re: Caveat of OW Rules

Palmen, KEV (Karl)
Dear Charles, Tom, Victor and Calendar People

On first examination of this statement, I can agree with everything I read
here.

KARL SAYS: It's now on line (thanks to Victor) at
http://www.the-light.com/cal/kp_ogam_caveat.html
and linked from
http://www.the-light.com/cal/ogindex.html

Re: Caveat of OW Rules