Calndr-l is Closing

McCarty, Richard
The CALNDR-L calendar discussion list at East Carolina University is closing this week.

I created the list in 1996, and have been the list owner and manager for nearly a quarter-century (wow). But this month I am retiring from the university faculty, and giving up my access to the listserver software.

Thursday, August 27 (Eastern Time) will be the last day to post messages on the list. All subscribers' posting privileges will be suspended sometime the following day.

Thanks to all who have participated.

Be well.

Rick McCarty

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Victor Engel
This email originated from outside ECU.

Thanks for hosting. I guess we have a short time to come up with an alternative. Any suggestions, people?

Victor

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM McCarty, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
The CALNDR-L calendar discussion list at East Carolina University is closing this week.

I created the list in 1996, and have been the list owner and manager for nearly a quarter-century (wow). But this month I am retiring from the university faculty, and giving up my access to the listserver software.

Thursday, August 27 (Eastern Time) will be the last day to post messages on the list. All subscribers' posting privileges will be suspended sometime the following day.

Thanks to all who have participated.

Be well.

Rick McCarty

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Michael H Deckers

    On 2020-08-25 18:10, Richard McCarty wrote:

> The CALNDR-L calendar discussion list at East Carolina University is closing this week.
>
> I created the list in 1996, and have been the list owner and manager for nearly a quarter-century (wow). But this month I am retiring from the university faculty, and giving up my access to the listserver software.
>
> Thursday, August 27 (Eastern Time) will be the last day to post messages on the list. All subscribers' posting privileges will be suspended sometime the following day.

> Thanks to all who have participated.
>
> Be well.
>
> Rick McCarty

    Thanks for keeping this list up for so long!

    I vividly remember many past lessons by cognizant
    scholars about ancient practical astronomy and
    calendrics of yore.

    And enjoy your retirement!

    Michael Deckers.

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Ed Kohout-2
This email originated from outside ECU.

Sir,

Thank you for creating this forum.  I learned much here over the last 20 years.

Best wishes to you for your future!

- Ed

www.occursionmedia.com

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM, McCarty, Richard
The CALNDR-L calendar discussion list at East Carolina University is closing this week.

I created the list in 1996, and have been the list owner and manager for nearly a quarter-century (wow). But this month I am retiring from the university faculty, and giving up my access to the listserver software.

Thursday, August 27 (Eastern Time) will be the last day to post messages on the list. All subscribers' posting privileges will be suspended sometime the following day.

Thanks to all who have participated.

Be well.

Rick McCarty

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Ryan Provost-2
This email originated from outside ECU.

Discord? Facebook?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

This email originated from outside ECU.

Thank you Mr McCarty for having made this unique resource available

Walter Ziobro

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 Ryan Provost <[hidden email]> wrote:

This email originated from outside ECU.

Discord? Facebook?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Phil De Rosa
This email originated from outside ECU.

Thank you Rick for all you’ve done to create an interest and input about the need to reform the calendar by modifying, modernising, and finding an acceptable, simplified World Calendar.

One last remark from me: we are stuck with the seven day week for some years to come even though in my opinion this is the real source of our calendric problems.  But that being the case I would temporarily opt for the Hanke-Henry Permanent Calendar proposal as being the simplest until a time in the future, maybe in 2082, or whenever the World is ready to accept a really simple, secular based Calendar based on a 10 day week somewhat similar to the French Republican Decimal Calendar used in France for about 12 years from 1793 until 1805 when, unfortunately in my opinion, Emperor Napoleon 1 and the Catholic Church cooperated and succeeded in bringing back the Biblical seven day Gregorian Calendar.

On another note concerning the recording of time I would certainly retain the Time Zones.
But I would discard the use of Daylight Saving Time of which I’ve written a paper that I have distributed to and received support from; Sleep Disorder Clinics, Neuro-biologists, psychologists, Astronomy Societies, Travel and Transportation organizations, and many other individuals and organizations, plus excerpts were published in two magazines and on the Opinions page in the six major newspapers of Canada’s largest publisher.

I believe with the increased use of robotization, computerization, and the accelerated use of Artificial Intelligence we are on the way to being nearer to being able to reform the calendar system.

I will miss reading about all the various concepts and reasons why people want to reform the calendar.

Again thanking you Rick, and wishing you a long, safe, healthy, and enjoyable retirement.

Phil De Rosa
BC, Canada

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Amos Shapir-2
This email originated from outside ECU.

Thanks Rick for the wonderful work!

It seems a FB group could do it (the name "Calendar" is already occupied though); or maybe a public blog application.

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Rick and Calendar People

Thank you Rick for keeping this list. I joined back in early 1998. I invented my Yerm Lunar Calendar about that time.

Thanks for the many interesting posts since then. Now there are very few posts and recently I've felt this list has run its course, so I'm not disappointed that it is closing at this time.

Later posts to this list have been archived at Nabble and can be seen at

http://calndr-l.10958.n7.nabble.com

I'd be interested in a Facebook group.

Karl

19(01(08 from noon

Wednesday Epsilon August 2020

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Amos

Perhaps it could be "Calendar Systems".

Karl

19(01(08 from noon

Wednesday Epsilon August

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Joakim Stai
This email originated from outside ECU.

I would advise against using a proprietary closed platform like Facebook or Discord. This forum should remain accessible to all without having to succumb to surveillance.

A good, modern alternative to traditional mailing lists is Discourse, an open source software that is free to self-host. They also have a hosting service with an 85% discount for educational institutions.

There are many academics on this list. Hopefully an educational institution will consider taking up the baton, ensuring the list remains accessible to all.

Thank you, Rick, for creating and managing CALENDR-L for so many years. Wish you all the best!

Joakim

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 1:31 AM Ryan Provost <[hidden email]> wrote:
This email originated from outside ECU.

Discord? Facebook?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

This email originated from outside ECU.

Philip--
,
Sure the calendar could be simpler. That's why I proposed South-Solstice WeekDate, for ultimate simplicity.
.
And of course there are innumerable possibilities for something simpler than Roman, but still retaining a month-system of some kind.  ...such as South-Solstice Ecliptic-Months or North-Solstice Ecliptic Months.
.
But, for one thing, we all know that there isn't going to be adoption of a new calendar.  For another thing, Roman-Gregorian is actually a good astronomical-seasonal calendar:
.
Our Roman Calendar, dating back to around the time of European-conquest by Caesar, is well-fitted to the Solar-declination transitional-periods, especially during the more-of-interest waxing half of the year.
.
The Roman month of Februarius neatly contains the three Solar-declination transitional-days when  the Solar-declination is 1/3 of the way from its value at the South-Solstice to the Northward-Equinox, and 1/2 of the way, and 2/3 of the way.
.
The 1/3 point occurs near the Pagan holiday of Imbolc.
.
The Roman month of Aprilis neatly (amost) contains the three Solar-declination transitiona-days when the Solar-delination is 1/3, 1/2 & 2/3 of the way from its Northward-Equinox value to its North-Solstice value.
.
Yes, in that Ostara-Litha quarter, the 2/3 point occurs just after the end of Aprilis.  ...barely into Maius.  ...around the time of the Pagan holiday of Beltane.
.
So Imbolc & Beltane are symmetrically positioned at the extreme ends of those two transitional Roman months.
.
As you already know, those two times were celebrated by the Romans too.
.
The Roman-Gregorian Calendar's unidirectional seasonal-drift-rate is so slow as to be unnoticeable during a human lifetime.
.
The Roman-Gregorian Calendar's oscillatory displacement extremes during a 400-year Gregorian-cycle aren't objectionably large.   ...just a few days.
.
Could be simpler? Sure, but how many people do you know who complain??  I don't know of anyone (other than the very, very few calendar-reform advocates, none of whom lives within a hundred miles of me) who has any objection to Roman-Gregorian.  People use paper calendars and digital calendars, and no one has any objection whatsoever.     But everyone objects when you speak of changing the calendar.
.
Yes, Mr. McCarty, thanks for the forum, but it really needed some moderation, and a few expulsions (banning) would have been in order.
.
There are a few people at CALNDR-L who wouldn't be allowed at any other forum.
Augustus 26th, 2020

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

This email originated from outside ECU.

One last remark from me: we are stuck with the seven day week for some years to come even though in my opinion this is the real source of our calendric problems.

Yes, a 5-day week is the week that would best fit the roughly 365-day tropical year. My North-Solstice Weekdate and North-Solstice Ecliptcic-Months proposals use a 5-day week.

But of course the 7-day week isn't a genuine problem, and practically no one is objecting to it.

On another note concerning the recording of time I would certainly retain the Time Zones.
But I would discard the use of Daylight Saving Time

Yes, the annual time-changes (in particular the "spring-forward" timechange) cause serious problems, including many accidents, etc.

But, rather than having all-year Standard-Time, it would be better to have all-year Daylight-Saving Time (advanced-time).

Our use of artificial-lighting has put us out of synch with nature's Solar-time.  Daylight-Savings time is closer to nature's time.

...given the work and school clock-schedules that we use.

We hear the objection that kids in some parts of timezones at high-lat would be going to school in the dark.  Yes, but with Standard-Time, in some parts of timezones at high-lat, people, including kids, are out in the evening dark.

Morning dark is safer than evening dark, in terms of traffic, and in terms of dangerous people to be encountered.

Astronomers don't like advanced time because its added hour spoils the simplicity of zone-standard mean-time.  But that's less important than the mismatch of our clock-schedules with nature's Solar time, when using Standard-Time.

Augustus 26th

Michael Ossipoff

[...]

Christoph Päper-2
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear calendarists

Thank you all for participating over all those years. Thank you, Rick, in particular for maintaining this mailing list.

I agree that Facebook would *not* be a good place to continue this. I have looked into Discourse in the past, because I‘m using it elsewhere (as a ist, not an owner) and it would be a sensible choice, not least because standard mail archives can be imported and participation by mail remains possible. However, maintenance is more complicated and possibly costly than for a mailing list.

Cheers

Christoph Päper

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Carlo Dapor
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Mr McCarty

Thank you for operating the mailing list through all these years.
I have learned a lot from the many discussions.

The Hercules 390/MVS enthusiasts community had to relocate their mailing list earlier this year, they were on Yahoo groups or something along those lines.
Their new "home" is now at https://groups.io/g/H390-MVS.

Ciao, derweil,
--
Carlo

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:11 PM McCarty, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
The CALNDR-L calendar discussion list at East Carolina University is closing this week.

I created the list in 1996, and have been the list owner and manager for nearly a quarter-century (wow). But this month I am retiring from the university faculty, and giving up my access to the listserver software.

Thursday, August 27 (Eastern Time) will be the last day to post messages on the list. All subscribers' posting privileges will be suspended sometime the following day.

Thanks to all who have participated.

Be well.

Rick McCarty

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Jamison Painter
This email originated from outside ECU.

I agree that a calendar with a ten-day "week" would be preferable to a seven-day week. I do not think you can reasonably do five days, as you would be looking at working 3, off 2, or working 4, off one. Neither is very efficient. Ten allows for working 7.5 days, off 2.5. The end of the decade would have the 9th and 10th day off, and on the 5th day, people would work a half-day. This mirrors what the French did, although they only allowed for 1.5 days off.

As for not allowing some people on the list, well, Michael, be careful, as you would have been booted at the very beginning, making all of our lives that much more pleasant. But that's as may be, at this point.

Jamison E. Painter, MA

A while ago I experimented (very little) with groups.io actually. That‘s why [hidden email] already exists. We could revive and use that if y’all want. It’s running on the free plan, which is basically about as limited as the current mailing list.

Re: Calndr-l is Closing

Victor Engel
This email originated from outside ECU.

I would vote for that. A neighborhood email list that used to be on yahoo switched to that platform. Interestingly, they started on egroups which got taken over by yahoo. Now they're back on a domain with groups in the name. :)

Carlo Dapor <[hidden email]>:

A while ago I experimented (very little) with groups.io actually. That‘s why [hidden email] already exists. We could revive and use that if y’all want. It’s running on the free plan, which is basically about as limited as the current mailing list.

1234