Calendar petitions

Christoph Päper-2
Dear calendarists

Out of curiosity, I've searched Change.org for calendar-related petitions, but only in English so far. There is not much to find except some IFC proposals, most with only a handful of supporters. Some petitions are apparently reactions to short-lived local discussions about changing the date of a public holiday. There are also several petitions for keeping, changing, removing or adding local school holidays etc., some for religious purposes. A lot of proposals for new holidays are obviously not meant seriously. Overall, calendar reform is not a popular topic on Change.org.

United Nations, ISO, World
--------------------------

- https://www.change.org/p/sharon-shanti-icacci-international-committee-against-christian-calendar-imperialism (2016-01-03, 5+)
- https://www.change.org/p/un-secretary-general-calendar-referendum-2020-declaration-of-universal-world-peace (2016-10-14, 3971+), refers to https://13months28days.info/ which is 13*28+1 without leaps and unclear week start
- https://www.change.org/p/calendar-truth-calendar-referendum-2020-and-declaration-of-universal-world-peace (2016-10-14, 120+)
- https://www.change.org/p/international-organization-for-standardization-fix-the-calendar (2018-11-01, 15+), 13*28+1 IFC with Sunday week start and end-of-year leap day

United Kingdom of GB and NI
---------------------------

- https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-david-cameron-mp-change-the-gregorian-calendar-to-a-new-more-logical-calendar (2015-10-23, 8+), 13*28+1 with Sunday week start and March year start
- https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-reform-the-calendar-to-have-13-months (2018-11-22, 9+), 13*28 IFC with Sunday week start

United States of America
------------------------

Year Count:

- https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-trump-to-revise-the-gregorian-calendar-year-2019-to-the-human-era-calendar-year-12-019 (2019-01-03, 9+)
- https://www.change.org/p/everyone-who-has-seen-the-light-of-kek-reform-existing-calendar-to-make-trump-s-inauguration-day-0-of-year-0-t-e-trump-era (2017-01-18, 42+)

Halloween:

- https://www.change.org/p/macomb-county-halloween-change-the-celebration-date-to-the-last-saturday-in-october (2016-09-11, 256+)
- https://www.change.org/p/u-s-senate-halloween-on-last-saturday-of-october (2017-10-30, 184+)
- https://www.change.org/p/official-petition-to-observe-halloween-on-the-last-saturday-in-october (2018-09-28, 387+)
- https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-make-october-31st-thru-november-2nd-a-national-holiday-instead-of-changing-halloween (2018-10-26, 283+)
- https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-trump-don-t-change-halloween-make-it-a-national-holiday-72f57ca0-663e-4ab9-ad7a-e4a551470faf (2018-10-27, 29+)
- https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-trump-leave-halloween-on-october-31-and-stop-messing-with-someone-s-holy-day (2018-10-27, 37+)
- https://www.change.org/p/the-community-keep-the-date-for-halloween-counter-petition-for-the-date-change (2018-10-28, 240+)
- https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-trump-halloween-doesn-t-need-to-change (2018-10-30, 33+)
- https://www.change.org/p/people-of-the-united-states-keep-halloween-the-way-it-is (2018-10-31, 10+)
- https://www.change.org/p/everyone-change-halloween-s-date-from-october-31st-to-whatever-is-the-last-friday-of-halloween (2018-11-01, 6+)

Canada
------

- https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-change-february-29th-to-june-31st (2017-08-06, 8+)

Canada Day:

- https://www.change.org/p/parliament-of-canada-keep-canada-day-on-canada-day-july-1st (2018-06-18, 40+)
- https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-saving-halloween-making-october-31st-a-statutory-holiday (2018-10-31, 13+)

Australia
---------

Australia Day:

- https://www.change.org/p/malcom-turnbull-australia-day-keep-the-day-change-the-date (2017-01-25, 265+)
- https://www.change.org/p/changethedate-to-january-19th-australia-day (2017-04-08, 138+)
- https://www.change.org/p/changethedate-of-australia-day-to-the-1st-of-january (2017-08-22, 2043+)
- https://www.change.org/p/malcolm-turnbull-change-the-date-for-australia-day (2018-01-17, 132+)

India
-----

- https://www.change.org/p/why-are-we-afraid-of-13-alter-the-gregorian-calendar (2018-10-19, 5+), 14*24 with 8-day week, no details

- https://www.change.org/p/service-jobs-change-the-calendar-and-include-an-extra-weekend-saturday-2 (2019-01-12, 16+), 3-day weekend, no details

Re: Calendar petitions

Christoph Päper-2
Dear calendarists

After researching other petitions last week, I thought "why not?" and thus have just published a petition to WCC and the Vatican to reform the date of Easter. I do not propose a specific option, but provide an overview and also some background. Perhaps I should have explained the current problems or the benefits of a reform more. Anyway, I would be glad if you cosigned this petition or shared it with peers interested in this topic. It will only be visible publicly after it has received 5 signatures.

<https://www.change.org/p/world-council-of-churches-unify-and-fix-the-date-of-easter?recruiter=635360828>

Re: Calendar petitions

Sepp Rothwangl
Dear Calendarists,

In my eyes it is pointless to reform a religious calendar based on papal encyclicals that correspond to the papal claim to truth. The Catholic Church cannot accept this because it would contradict the Papal infallibility.
The Gregorian calendar is unreformable!
However, it is possible to propose and introduce a secular calendar based on astronomical data.

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -239.654
SEAC Fellow
[hidden email]
www.calendersign.com

Am 24.01.2019 um 17:13 schrieb Christoph Päper <[hidden email]>:

> Dear calendarists
>
> After researching other petitions last week, I thought "why not?" and thus have just published a petition to WCC and the Vatican to reform the date of Easter. I do not propose a specific option, but provide an overview and also some background. Perhaps I should have explained the current problems or the benefits of a reform more. Anyway, I would be glad if you cosigned this petition or shared it with peers interested in this topic. It will only be visible publicly after it has received 5 signatures.
>
> <https://www.change.org/p/world-council-of-churches-unify-and-fix-the-date-of-easter?recruiter=635360828>

Re: Calendar petitions

Rodolphe Audette-2
Dear Calendarists

Reforming the date of Easter would in no way contradict Papal infallibility. Papal infallibility pertains to matters of faith and morals only. The date of Easter and Calendars in general are not matters of faith nor morals. Therefore Papal infallibility does not apply.

Rodolphe Audette

Sepp ROTHWANGL <[hidden email]>:

> In my eyes it is pointless to reform a religious calendar based on
> papal encyclicals that correspond to the papal claim to truth.
> The Catholic Church cannot accept this because it would contradict the
> Papal infallibility.

The Roman Catholic Church is reforming their liturgical calendar all the time, or every couple of decades at least. The calendar is just a human artifact and its latest reform was made possible by papal authority (although it had severely declined in the decades prior), not due to a claim of truth. The only things about the calendar that Christian churches will never agree to be changed is the number of days per week and the uninterrupted continuity of the week cycle.

I only care about the date of Easter because many public holidays in several countries depend on it, e. g. 4 to 6 in Germany, not counting Sundays.

> The Gregorian calendar is unreformable!

I do not propose to reform it (here), although its lunar part (and Computus) would no longer be necessary. It would get a different name anyway.

> However, it is possible to propose and introduce a secular calendar
> based on astronomical data.

Nobody needs a reform of the civil calendar that would _just_ make it more astronomically accurate.

> <https://www.change.org/p/world-council-of-churches-unify-and-fix-the-date-of-easter?recruiter=635360828>

Re: Calendar petitions

Dear Cristophe st al

The church is not irrevocably tied to the Gregorian Calendar As Cristophe pointed out, monotheistic religions are only insistent on the 7 day week The current month names and day numbering predate Chritianity and are pagan in origin There is no religious doctrine fixed to them Its just difficult to get a consensus on alternatives Which is why I recommend a set of calendars with unique nomenclature run concurrently

Walter Ziobro