Calendar myths

Re: Calendar myths

Jamison Painter
AMOS:

Interesting article. Thank you.

Jamison

22 Germinal CCXXVII, Romaine

Amos Shapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Calendar myths

Michael H Deckers
      On 2019-04-11 14:38, Amos Shapir wrote:
> This may be interesting to some members of this list:
> https://www.academia.edu/38742807/Tracing_back_the_ages_of_myths_behind_calendars_eras?email_work_card=view-paper

    Thanks for the reference. But should we trust it?

    The author writes:
    "  The sure thing is that four years after the defeat of the Islamic
       invaders at the Battle of Tours (732), the “year 736
       of the Incarnation of the Lord” on the colophon of
       the Ismere Diploma (fig. 2) is the very first Christian
       calendar date. "

    But it is well-known that the Venerable Bede used years "ab incarnatione
    domini" in his "Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum", and Bede died
    on J0735-05-26.

    If an historian claims that he has found the earliest XXXX then
    one has to be very cautious. Usually they only mean the "oldest XXXX
    known to me", and this not only depends on the state of the art
    of history at the time, but also on the knowledge of one particular
    author.

    Michael Deckers.