Calendar Reform with Modified Week RE: Calendar-Reform Poll Results

Calendar Reform with Modified Week RE: Calendar-Reform Poll Results

CHRISTOPH SAID:
Most other religions don’t rely on the Gregorian calendar anyway, but it sucks that even the organized faith that was left in charge of the international civil calendar is still using rules outside of it (Computus etc.).

KARL REPLIES:
But if the Gregorian Calendar were replaced by a new calendar that occasionally had a day added to or outside of the 7-day week (I like to call such a day Extraday), then the other religions would either have to rely on the new calendar or allow their week to diverge from the week of the new calendar. I'd expect they'd let the their week diverge.

From the point of view of a different calendar, the Extradays of the new calendar would appear to occur at arbitrary dates. This might be accepted if the new calendar year has 52 weeks in a year and so only one or two Extradays, but not if it has 48 or 50 weeks as Christoph had suggested, which would have 15 or 16 Extradays in a 50-week year or have 29 or 30 Extradays in a 48-week year.

I repeat Christoph's links with some annotation:
- <http://calendars.wikia.com/wiki/Fixed_Festivity_Calendar> 48 weeks with Extraday as day 0
- <http://calendars.wikia.com/wiki/Perpetual_Christian_Calendar> 50 weeks with Extraday as day 8

Also I'd like to call such a week a solar week, because it forms a fixed fraction of a solar calendar year. It complements the lunar week, which is a fixed fraction (usually a quarter) of a lunar calendar month.