Aubrey Holes

Maybe my searching ability needs improvement, but I couldn't find any past discussion on this list about the 56 Aubrey holes of  Stonehenge. I'm wondering what list members think is the purpose of the Aubrey holes. I was watching a TV show last night that intimated it was a sort of correction of sorts to the Metonic cycle, being one lunation short of three Metonic cycles, and being a predictor of eclipses. Comments?

Re: Aubrey Holes

Vladimir Pakhomov-2

In 1963 the American astronomer Gerald Hawkins theorized that Stonehenge was not electric computer for predicting lunar and solar eclipses.

See the books:

1. Gerald S. Hawkins, John B. White. "Stonehenge decoded", 1966

2. Vladimir Pakhomov "Message to the Unborn - Mystery of the Calendar 1-2"

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFP818C  (for any device)

Vladimir

[...]

They give a description of a simple method of predicting lunar and solar eclipses using the 56 Aubrey holes of  Stonehenge.

So what do they say about the 56 Aubrey holes?

Re: Aubrey Holes

Victor Engel
... namely?

The wikipedia article claims such calculations are erroneous.

Victor

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Vladimir Pakhomov <[hidden email]> wrote:

They give a description of a simple method of predicting lunar and solar eclipses using the 56 Aubrey holes of  Stonehenge.

Re: Aubrey Holes

Helios
Dear Victor and Calendar People,

The significance of the Aubrey holes is religous because Stonehenge is a holey place.

It is a matter of calendric recreation to invent a Stonehenge calendar. Let each hole hold a stone. Let each stone represent a Stonehenge week equal to 2 / 9 months. Nine stones would equal 2 months. Occasionally one end-of-year stone is removed on certain years. Over a 35 year cycle, 12 stones are removed. These years are presumedly ( 02, 05, 08, 11, 14, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34 ). Thus 35 years = 56*( 35 ) - 12 = 1948 stones = 432 & 8 / 9 months. After 9 cycles, 315 years = 3896 months.

A good article on these things is "The Recumbent  Stone Circles of Scotland", ( Scientific American DEC 1981 ). The summary is although they are aligned with astronomical events, it seems clear their purpose was purely ritual.

The typical features are;
1. a southerly recumbent alter stone of a different kind of stone  than the other upright stones. The alter is flanked by two tall upright stones
2. a conspicuous axis from the midsummer sunrise azimuth to the midwinter sunset azimuth which always runs between upright stones and is never obstructed. Sometimes there's something on the horizon to mark  this axis also.
3. upright stones that mark the alignments to the moonrise or moonset on the days of lunar standstills ( extremes in lunar declination ). The widest arc for the full moon is achieved at midwinter nearest the major lunar standstills The narrowest arc for the full moon is achieved at midsummer nearest the  minor lunar standstills. This great lunar cycle equals roughly 18 & 8 / 13 years, not to be confused with the Saros cycle.

Re: Aubrey Holes

Karl Palmen
Dear Helios and Calendar People

The 56 stones remind me of Victor's first troll calendar, which I think also involved 56 stones, which were used to generate a solar 392 year cycle of 95 leap years.

Helios is suggesting a calendar based on a period of 2/9 lunar month, which corresponds to a stone and so could be called a stone. Most years have 56 stones, but 12 out of 35 years have 55 stones. These 12 years could be arranged in a Helios cycle (symmetrical and smoothly spaced) of ( 02, 05, 08, 11, 14, 17; 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34 ) as shown by Helios. The mean number of stones in a year is thus 55 23/35 and so 35 years have 1948 stones. This leads to 2*1948=3896 lunar months in 9*35=315 years as asserted by Helios.

The calendar almost follows a simpler cycle, where every 3rd year has 55 instead of 56 stones. Then 3 years have 167 stones and so 27 years have 334 months. This cycle although less accurate than the 19-year cycle of 235 months has been mentioned on the list before and often occurs as an interval between Chinese New Year Mardi Gras days.

If the 35-year cycle is extended by one of these 3 year cycles, one gets a 38-year cycle of 2115 stones, which equal 470 months and so forms two 19-year cycles.

If a 2/9 month calendar were used for the 56 stones, I expect 38-year cycle would have been used rather than the more accurate 35-year cycle, because the 19-year cycle was well known.

A 1/4 month calendar would be simpler with years normally alternating between 49 and 50 stones as explained in earlier E-mails (Quarter-Moon Calendar).

[...]

Scanned by iCritical.