A Calendar for Time to Come

Joakim Stai
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear list members,

This is my humble contribution to the fascinating art of calendar design: a perennial solar calendar based on Omar Khayyâm's 11th century Jalali calendar reform. Essentially, it's the Persian calendar with a different meridian, different division of the year and a different epoch.

Here's an FAQ that hopefully answers some obvious questions:

I can only assume that I have made mistakes. If you find any, you are more than welcome to open an issue on the project's issue queue, or reply on this list. Any suggestions are also welcome.

The calendar is not meant as a calendar reform or a formal proposal. I'd be perfectly happy if I were the only one using it. But my hope is that others will find it interesting, maybe even useful.

Oh, and happy new year!

Yours sincerely,
Joakim Stai

12020-A0

Re: A Calendar for Time to Come

k.palmen@btinternet.com
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Joakim and Calendar People

The calendar divides the year into 8 "months" of 45 days and presumably 5 or 6 extra days.

Such a calendar can have the leap day occur once every 4 years and 1 "month", so each "month" in turn takes the leap day over a 33-year cycle of 8 leap years.

"Months" can alternate between 45 and 46 days not counting the leap day and one day at the end of the year.

"Months" can alternate between 42 and 49 days not counting the leap day and one day at the end of the year.

The latter can have the "months" divided into calendar weeks of 7 days and each equinox and solstice occurring in the 7th calendar week of a long "month".

Also a similar proposal exists: The Albertan Calendar, which has nothing to do with the Canadian province

https://calendars.wikia.org/wiki/Albertan_calendar

Karl

Sunday Gamma March 2020

12020-A0

Re: A Calendar for Time to Come

Litmus A Freeman
This email originated from outside ECU.

3 ONE-Aries♈ 13521 UCC (321 Dwapara Ascending)

Dear Joakim

Thanks for sharing! I particularly like where your creation is similar to the UCC of course ;) but also the fact that you have prepared a good Wiki type page to explain it, with links and references etc, good work!

Maybe you could add some graphics to your page to show pictorially how it works? I think that would really help to bring it to life

Peace, love and freedom

Litmus

-----------------------
Litmus A Freeman
Creator of 'The Free Man Calendar' - the Universal Celestial Calendar (UCC)
www.freemancalendar.com
www.universalcelestialcalendar.com

12020-A0

Re: A Calendar for Time to Come

This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Karl

Chinese solar terms could be incorporated into your calendar because their length varies between 15 and 16 days Three of them would fit into your 45-46 day periods, which I have called octants because they divide the year into 8ths

WalterZiobro

12020-A0

Re: A Calendar for Time to Come

k.palmen@btinternet.com
This email originated from outside ECU.

Dear Walter and Calendar People

The Chinese terms correspond to the sun mover 15 degrees and hence are longer in the northern summer than winter, the octants would have to similarly vary. The issue has been pursued for months in recent E-mails

Karl

Thursday Delta March 2020