5th, Dec

Sepp Rothwangl
Dear calendarists,

May I remind you that 1701 years ago today a hare fell dead on the field of Buxtehude after a race with a hedgehog.
Isn't it remarkable that this event can be dated more accurately than the birth or crucifixion of Jesus?

Best regards ;=)
Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -239.704
SEAC Fellow

Re: 5th, Dec

Walter J Ziobro

Dear Sepp:

Maybe because no one has any reason to question the former date.   Maybe if you took a hard look at the documentation of that date, we might have questions about that, too.

-Walter Ziobro

Re: 5th, Dec

Sepp Rothwangl
Dear Walter,
What do you mean, former date?
If this is the birth of Christ, then there have been many before who questioned that date. For instance: Johannes Kepler

Widerholter Aussführlicher Teutscher Bericht, Das unser ... Jesus Christus nit nuhr ein Jahr vor dem anfang unserer heutiges tags gebreuchigen Jahrzahl geboren sey ... sondern fünff gantzer Jahr, Gestelt durch Johan Kepplern
or
https://archive.org/details/den-kbd-pil-12059000226D-001/page/n9

Regards

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -239.704
SEAC Fellow
[hidden email]
www.calendersign.com

Am 05.12.2018 um 15:39 schrieb Walter J Ziobro <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Sepp:
>
> Maybe because no one has any reason to question the former date.   Maybe if you took a hard look at the documentation of that date, we might have questions about that, too.
>
> -Walter Ziobro

Amos Shapir-2
The AD year numbering was suggested by Dionysius Exiguus with this epoch, only because he found it convenient that the 532-year Easter table he was working on, would take effect on year 532 ( = 4x19x7).

Searching back in history, he found that the nearest event to that epoch was the birth of Christ, so he named it the AD count.  I think that even he knew at the time that it was not historically accurate.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:01 PM Sepp ROTHWANGL <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Walter,
What do you mean, former date?
If this is the birth of Christ, then there have been many before who questioned that date. For instance: Johannes Kepler

Widerholter Aussführlicher Teutscher Bericht, Das unser ... Jesus Christus nit nuhr ein Jahr vor dem anfang unserer heutiges tags gebreuchigen Jahrzahl geboren sey ... sondern fünff gantzer Jahr, Gestelt durch Johan Kepplern
or
https://archive.org/details/den-kbd-pil-12059000226D-001/page/n9

Regards

Sepp Rothwangl, CEP -239.704
SEAC Fellow
[hidden email]
www.calendersign.com

Re: 5th, Dec

Sepp Rothwangl
Amos,
your explanation does not explain, why he choose this of all years, and he could have chosen any other year as start of an 532 year cycle.
The reason was something else: